Taken from lectures given at the Pan American Advanced Studies Institute in Damage Prognosis sponsored by the US National Science Foundation in cooperation with Los Alamos National Laboratories, this book will be essential reading for anyone looking to get to grips with the fundamentals of damage prognosis.
- Presents the 'ground rules' for Damage Prognosis.
- Deals with interdisciplinary topics: rotating machines, aerospace structures, automotive components and civil structures.
- Covers essential technical material: equations, graphs and plots, tables and photographs.
- Offers additional material from the associated workshop on an active web site.
1. An Introduction to Prognosis, (C. R. Farrar, N. A. J. Lieven and M. Bement).
PART I: DAMAGE MODELS.
2. An Overview of Modeling Damage Evolution in Materials, (T. Williams and I. J. Beyerlein).
3. In Situ Observation of Damage Evolution and Fracture Toughness Measurement, (J. E. P. Ipina and A.A. Yawny).
4. Predictive Modeling of Crack Propagation Using the Boundary Element Method, (P. Sollero).
5. On Friction Induced Non-Ideal Vibrations: A source of Fatigue, (J. M. Balthazar and B. R. Pontes).
6. Incorporating and Updating of Damping in Finite Element Modeling, (J. A. Pereira and P. M. Doi).
PART II: MONITORING ALGORITHMS.
7. Model-Based Inverse Problems in Structural Dynamics, (V. Steffen, Jr. and D. A. Rade).
8. Structural Health Monitoring Algorithms for Smart Structures, (V. Lopes, Jr.).
9. Uncertainty Quantification and the Verification of computation Models, (F. Hemez).
10. Reliability Methods, (A. Robertson and F. Hemez).
11. Lamb Wave Methods in Structural Health Monitoring, (C. Cesnik, and A. Raghavan).
12. Structural Energy Flow Techniques, (J. R. F. Arruda).
13. Impedance Based Structural Health Monitoring, (G. Park and D. J. Inman).
14. Statistical Pattern Recognition Paradigm Applied to Defect Detection in Composite Plates, (H. Sohn).
PART III: HARDWARE.
15. Sensing and Data Acquisition Issues for Damage Prognosis, (C.R. Farrar, P. Cornwell, N. F. Hunter, and N. A. J. Lieven).
Chapter 16. Design of Active Structural Health Monitoring System for Aircraft and Spacecraft Structures, (F.-K. Chang, J.-B. Ihn and E. Blaise).
17. Optical Based Sensing, (M. Todd).
PART IV: APPLICATIONS.
18. Prognosis Applications and Challenges, (D. Adams).
19. Prognosis of Rotating Machinery Components, (M. Roemer and B. Marshall).
20. Application of Simplified Statistical Models in Hydro Generating Units Health Monitoring, (G. C. Brito, Jr.).
Charles R. Farrar Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA.
Vicente Lopes Junior Universidade Estadual de SÃ£o Paulo, Brazil.
Valder Steffen Junior Federal University of Uberlandia, Brazil.