This new book describes and assesses the seismic requirements for different types of structures. In focussing on nuclear chemical plants critical guidance is given on design and cost–effective methods. Bringing together valuable experience from a wide range of disciplines, this important volume covers an informative selection of topics.
- Introduction to Seismic Design
- Expected accelerations and ways to minimize interaction between structural and mechanical components
- The practical aspects of designing and assessing mechanical handling equipment for seismic events
- Nuclear safety requirements for travelling cranes
- Overview of vessel seismic design
- Seismic qualification of existing pipework in UK nuclear power plants
- Construction of a three–dimensional, large–scale shaking table land development of core technology
The contributors to this book are experts in their field whether they are from the nuclear, academic, governmental, or engineering consultant sectors. Their experienced and informed contributions will highlight and explore the most recent developments and challenges facing this highly relevant field of mechanical engineering.