Praise for Leading School Turnaround
"Going beyond their previous considerable work on the study of leadership, Kenneth Leithwood, Alma Harris, and Tiiu Strauss now get up–close and detailed. They use their powerful framework for how school leaders influence student learning, but this time they get inside the ′how.′ Practical, powerful, interesting, and insightful an indispensible resource for turnaround leaders."
MICHAEL FULLAN, professor emeritus, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto
"The problem of bringing about change in those schools where it is needed most remains one of the most intractable challenges in school leadership. This book is written by international scholars who understand the complexities of this challenge. Unlike other volumes based on a single person′s experience or a reading of the literature, these authors offer useful specific insights based on data about what leaders in schools that accomplish fundamental change actually do."
PHILIP HALLINGER, Chair Professor of Leadership and Change, Hong Kong Institute of Education
The Dynamic Context in Which Turnaround Leaders Work.
2. Reasons for School Failure.
3. A Staged Conception of School Turnaround Processes.
4. The Stages Illustrated: Rowlatt′s Hill Primary School.
What Turnaround Leaders Do and How They Do It.
5. How Turnaround Leaders Create a Shared Sense of Direction in Their Schools.
6. How Turnaround Leaders Foster Capacity Development Among Their Teachers.
7. How Turnaround Leaders Redesign Their School Organisations.
8. How Turnaround Leaders Manage Improvements in Their School s Instructional Programme.
9. Turnaround Leadership Up Close and Personal.
10. Sustaining Performance: Achieving Satisfactory Performance and Aspiring to Much More.
11. Creating the Conditions for Stronger Relationships between Leadership and Student Learning.
Appendix A: Methods Used For the Ontario Study.
Appendix B: Methods Used For the UK Study.