"A wonderful volume. . . If this book doesn′t grab you, you are not interested in pushing out your boundaries and thinking and learning more about therapy. . . If some books can be described as a ′gold mine,′ this one qualifies as ′platinum.′"
William C. Nichols, EdD, ABPP (Diplomate in Clinical Psychology); former president of the International Family Therapy Association and the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
"This book provides a clear and comprehensive bridge between individual and family therapies...An impressive and needed piece of work."
David Servan–Schreiber, MD, PhD, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center; founding board member of Doctors Without Borders
A groundbreaking new guide introducing a comprehensive approach for working with individuals, couples, families, and community disasters
Starting with the Foreword by Daniel Siegel, MD, the Handbook demonstrates, in superb detail, how to combine EMDR′s information processing approach with family systems perspectives and therapy techniques. These two powerful approaches result in a comprehensive integrated treatment to make therapy more robust and effective. Whether the client is presenting with an individual or family problem, the combined approach offers a range of interventions to assist therapists with case conceptualization and treatment. This unique volume blends theory, practice descriptions, and case examples to illustrate the therapy process with a wide variety of presenting complaints.
Fascinating and readable, the Handbook is ideal for all clinicians, regardless of training or orientation, who wish to broaden their scope and increase their therapeutic effectiveness in the treatment of individuals, couples, and families.
About the Editors.
About the Foreword Author.
PART I. FOUNDATIONS.
1. EMDR and Case Conceptualization from an Adaptive Information Processing Perspective (Francine Shapiro).
2. Family Systems Theories and Therapeutic Applications: A Contextual Overview (Florence W. Kaslow).
3. Use of the Genogram with Families for Assessment and Treatment (Sylvia Shellenberger).
4. EDMR Treatment of Family Abuse: Eye Movement to I Movement (Marcelle Manon).
PART II. ATTACHMENT PROBLEMS.
5. Treating Attachment Issues Through EMDR and a Family Systems Approach (Debra Wesselmann).
6. Repairing Maternal–Infant Bonding Failures (Antonio Madrid).
7. Enhancing Attachments: Conjoint Couple Therapy (Mark D. Moses).
PART III. MARITAL PROBLEMS AND CONFLICTS.
8. Integrating EMDR and Bowen Theory in Treating Chronic Relationship Dysfunction (Nancy Knudsen).
9. Integrating EMDR and Imago Relationship Therapy in Couple Treatment (Beverly S. Talan).
10. EMDR and Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy for War Veteran Couples (Nancy Errebo and Rita Sommers–Flanagan).
11. Sexual Trauma in Dysfunctional Marriages: Integrating Structural Therapy and EMDR (Wilhelmina S. Koedam).
12. EMDR and Family Therapy in the Treatment of Domestic Violence (Julie E. Stowasser).
PART IV. CHILD AND FAMILY PROBLEMS.
13. Complex Separation, Individuation Processes, and Anxiety Disorders in Young Adulthood (Laura Rocchietta Tofani).
14. Children of Divorce (Frances (Frankie) R. Klaff).
15. The Child as Identified Patient: Integrating Contextual Therapy and EMDR (Barry Litt).
16. Integrating EMDR and Family Therapy: Treating the Traumatized Child (Anita Bardin, Joel Comet and Deborah Porten).
17. Integrative Treatment of Intrafamilial Child Sexual Abuse (Louise Maxfield).
18. Medical Family Therapy (Margaret (Peggy) V. Moore).
PART V. COMMUNITY DISASTERS.
19. Disaster Response: EMDR and Family Systems Therapy under Communitywide Stress (Robert A. Gelbach and Katherine E. B. Davis).
PART VI. CONCLUSION.
20. The Integration of EMDR and Family Systems Therapies (Louise Maxfield, Florence W. Kaslow and Francine Shapiro).
Appendix A. EMDR Resources.
Appendix B. EMDR Trauma Research Finding and Further Reading.
Appendix C. Family Systems Resources.
Appendix D. A Brief History of the Field of Family Psychology and Therapy (Florence W. Kaslow).