Treating School–Age Children is the second of three volumes on the treatment of children in the Jossey–Bass Library of Current Clinical Technique. This book presents effective and efficient interventions for children who are just beginning school through the years of early puberty. The expert contributors offer frontline clinicians the knowledge and tools they need for assessing and treating the problems that are unique to this age group. Encouraging both creativity and flexibility, this volume presents specific recommendations for the treatment of developmental issues and problems such as hyperactivity, depression, obsession, compulsions, phobias, and trauma–related problems.
Written with the same sensitivity and insight as Treating Preschool Children and Treating Adolescents, this volume is an indispensible guide for meeting the challenge of treating children between the ages of six and twelve.
This book does not follow the current vogue of minimizing children s mental pain in order to minimize the costs of treatment, but instead it helps clinicians to be the best that they can be.
JOHN E. SCHOWALTER, M.D., Albert J Solnit Professor of Child Psychiatry and Pediatrics, Child Study Center, Yale University
2. Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder, Phobias, and Trauma(Sharon E. Williams, Julie A. Collier, and Zakee Matthews)
3. Depression(James Lock)
4. Disruptive Behavioral Disorders(Lisa R. Benton–Hardy and James Lock)
5. Conversion and Somatoform Disorders(Pamela J. Beasley and David Ray DeMaso)
6. Pain and Related Problems(Julie A. Collier)
7. Child Abuse(Mary J. Sanders and Jennifer Dyer–Friedman)
8. Eating Disorders(Tamara M. Altman and James Lock)