"Bravo! This book is brimming with practical suggestions and good advice for couples who want to make the second half of their marriage the best half."
David Blankenhorn, president, Institute for American Values, and author, Fatherless America
"This book is the step–by–step, can′t miss, user–friendly guide to having it all–to sharing the happiest time of any marriage with the love of your life. It should be required reading for all those about to embark on the empty–nest journey."
Diane Sollee, founder and director, Coalition for Marriage, Family and Couples Education
"A team of top–notch marriage savers offers first aid for marriages facing one of life′s most disorienting transitions. Their advice is practical and up–beat. It is refreshing to read a book about marriage written by people who don′t just believe in marriage but actually understand how it works."
Frank Pittman, M.D., author of Private Lies and Grow Up
Before You Begin: A Personal Note from David and Claudia Arp xiii
Part I: Understanding Your Empty Nest Marriage
1. Meet the Second Marriage of Your Marriage 1
2. Letting Go and Moving On 21
3. Becoming Partner Focused 41
Part II: Handling Conflict in the Empty Nest
4. Communication and Conflict: Four Danger Signs 59
5. Talking It Out: The Speaker–Listener Technique 81
6. Getting Beneath the Surface: Issues Versus Events 105
7. Problem Solving 131
8. Ground Rules for Handling Conflict 159
Part III: Dealing with Empty Nest Issues
9. When What We Want Isn′t What We Get 183
10. Applying the Glue of Commitment 203
11. Core Beliefs and Developing Siprtual Intimacy 225
12. Relating to Adult Children and ging Parents 241
Part IV: Feathering Your Own Empty Nest
13. Becoming Empty Nest Lovers 265
14. Building Your Friendship 283
15. Having Fun When the Nest Empties 297
16. Keeping Your Relationship Strong 311
Research References and Further Reading 327
Finding a Counselor When You Need One 333
Resources and Training 337
Survey Results and Problem Ranking 341
The Authors 343
David H. Arp marriage educators, authors, trainers, and seminar leaders–are the cofounders and codirectors of Marriage Alive International, Inc. They are the authors of numerous books including the 1997 Gold Medallion Award winner,The Second Half of Marriage (1996).
Scott M. Stanley, Howard J. Markman and Susan L. Blumberg developed the world–famous Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program (PREP). They are the coauthors of Fighting for Your Marriage, A Lasting Promise, Fighting for Your Jewish Marriage, and Becoming Parents.