For quick access and easy use, the worksheets are organized into eight sections and are printed in a large 8 1Ú2" x 11" format that folds flat for photocopying. Here’s an overview of what you’ll find in each section:
Drugs, Alcohol, and Smoking: Trends in smoking, second–hand smoke, reasons why people smoke and ways to help people quit, facts about drug use, the classification of different drugs, alcoholism, fetal alcohol syndrome, as well as drinking and driving.
Sex and Sex–Related Issues: Male and female sex organs, why people have sex, facts and myths, birth control, options after getting pregnant, sexually transmitted diseases, homosexuality, infertility options, sexual harassment, and date rape.
Love, Relationships, Marriage, and Family: The role of friends in our lives, negative aspects of cliques, dating and love, love and infatuation, qualities in an ideal mate, problems in marriage, why marriages end, family life cycles, and nontraditional families.
Life Skills: High and low self–esteem, long and short range goals, learning assertive behavior, dealing with difficult people, conflict resolution, what makes a good leader, effective communication and time management skills, and problems with violence.
Stress: What makes you stressed?, reactions to stress, coping with stress, suicide, death, and dying.
Food and Food–Related Issues: Improving eating habits, the food pyramid, information about calories, water, vitamins, cholesterol, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, fat, additives, and eating disorders.
Know Your Body and Body Image: Body image and type, the functions of different organs, body parts, body systems and terminology, viruses and bacteria, basic first aid, diagnosing and solving emergency problems, fitness habits, and four components of fitness.
Self–Esteem and Knowing Yourself: Favorite things, handwriting, personality type, birth order, highs and lows, and five senses.
Praise for Life Skills
"If you’re a health teacher, then celebratethis book just made your job easier!"
Dick Moss, editor, Physical Education Digest
"It is clear that McTavish understands the adolescent mind and the needs of this diverse group of learners. Her text will support educators who want to reach adolescent learners with curricular interventions that promote life knowledge and life skills, key requisites of success and well–being."
J.R. Bruce Cassie, head, Northeastern Ontario Field Centre and associate professor, University of Toronto
"This text is an excellent source of interactive lessons that require students to become engaged in the topics being presented. The lessons could be easily modified to meet the differentiated needs of students."
Kathryn Ritzert, math, science, family life (health) teacher, Warner Middle School, Farmington Public Schools, Farmington Hills, Michigan
About This Book.
SECTION 1: DRUGS, ALCOHOL, AND SMOKING.
1. Word Association.
2. What Drug Am I?
3. Trends in Tobacco Use.
4. Time Line: A Short History of Tobacco and Cigarette Use.
5. Thoughts About Secondhand Smoke.
6. Young Kids and Smoking.
7. Show Me the Money.
8. Getting Tough on Smoking: An Editorial.
9. Antismoking Slogans.
10. You Be the Judge.
11. Classifying the Types of Drugs.
12. The Types–of–Drugs Chart.
13. Facts and Myths on Drug Use.
14. Time Line: History of Drug Regulations in the United States.
15. Drug Use and Different Ages.
16. The Drug–Use Continuum.
17. The Marijuana Expert.
18. To Legalize or Not to Legalize?
19. A Venn Diagram Comparing Tobacco and Marijuana.
21. The Truth About Anabolic Steroids.
22. Tic–Tac Drugs: Teacher Page.
22a. Tic–Tac Drugs: Student Page.
23. The Effects of Alcohol.
24. Is Drinking a Problem for You?
25. Reasons, Reasons, Reasons.
26. The Staircase of Decisions with Drinking.
27. The Gray of Alcoholism.
28. Thoughts About Drinking and Driving.
29. A Letter from a Child with FAS.
30. Express Yourself.
31. Word Removal.
SECTION 2: SEX AND SEX–RELATED ISSUES.
32. Words and Slang.
33. Facts and Myths About Sex.
34. Reasons Why People Have Sex.
35. Sexuality Throughout Our Lifetime.
36. The Four Phases of Sexual Intercourse.
37. Male versus Female.
38. The Birth Control Chart.
39. Birth Control Crossword.
40. No Condom, No Sex: Talking to Your Partner About Condoms.
41. Dr. Birth Control.
42. Some Thoughts on Abstinence.
42a. The Some–Thoughts–on–Abstinence Chart.
43. What Should Vanessa Do?
44. Facts About Adoption.
45. What to Avoid During Pregnancy.
46. Stages in the Womb.
47. STI Unscramble.
48. Dr. STI.
49. Ways of Acquiring HIV.
50. Attitudes About AIDS: We’ve Come a Long Way Since the 1980s.
51. A Poem About an AIDS Victim.
52. Facts About Homosexuality.
53. Options for Couples Who Want a Child (But Are Having Infertility Problems).
54. Surrogate Rights.
55. Sexual Harassment Facts.
56. Sexual Harassment or Not Sexual Harassment?
57. Date Rape.
58. Date–Rape Decisions.
59. Finish the Story.
60. Dear Rudy . . ..
61. Sex Jeopardy.
62. It Takes Three.
63. Alphabet Soup.
SECTION 3: LOVE, RELATIONSHIPS, MARRIAGE, AND FAMILY.
64. A Relationship Balloon Tree.
65. The Relationship Chart.
66. Circle of Friends.
67. Different Friends, Different Occasions.
68. All About Cliques.
69. Break the Clique.
70. Finish the Sentences on Dating.
71. The Singles Ads.
72. How Do Couples Meet?.
73. Steps in a Relationship.
74. Is It Love or Infatuation?.
75. Love Quotations.
76. Sternberg’s Love Triangle Theory: Worksheet 1.
77. Sternberg’s Love Triangle Theory: Worksheet 2.
78. Sternberg’s Love Triangle Theory: Worksheet 3.
79. What Type of Lover Are You?
80. What Matters to You?
81. Qualities You Seek in a Mate.
82. To Live Together or Not to Live Together.
83. Marriage Quotations.
84. Marriage Vows.
85. A Marriage Check–off List.
86. How Expensive Is It?
87. Talk–Show Marriage Talk.
88. Can These Marriages Be Saved?
89. Why Do Relationships End?
90. Looking at the Family.
91. Family Challenges.
92. If Parenthood Required a License . . ..
93. Stages in the Family Life Cycle.
94. Who’s in What Stage of the Family Life Cycle?
SECTION 4: LIFE SKILLS.
95. Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.
96. Maslow’s Needs and You.
97. A Goal Chart.
98. High and Low Self–Esteem.
99. Improving Your Self–Esteem.
100. Peer Pressure and You.
101. Learning Assertiveness.
102. More on Assertiveness.
103. Dealing with Difficult People.
104. Conflict Outcomes.
105. The Steps in Decision Making.
106. Good Leader, Weak Leader (Part 1).
106a. Good Leader, Weak Leader (Part 2).
107. Wawa Island: A Team–Building Activity.
108. Are You an Effective Communicator?
109. Name That Communication Blocker.
110. Techniques for Saying No.
111. Communication Scenarios.
112. What Are They Really Saying?
113. A Paired Listening Exercise: Teacher Page.
113a. A Paired Listening Exercise: Student Page, Script A.
113b. A Paired Listening Exercise: Student Page, Script B.
114. Help Fatima Manage Her Time (Part 1).
115. Help Fatima Manage Her Time (Part 2).
116. Managing Your Time (Part 1).
117. Managing Your Time (Part 2).
118. What Do You Do?
119. Fatima’s Errands: A Time Management Activity.
120. Types of Violence.
121. Is Your School Violent?
122. Top 10 Pieces of Advice to Live By.
123. Advice in Code.
SECTION 5: STRESS.
124. Are You Vulnerable to Stress?
125. The Life Change Index.
126. What Is Their Life Change Index?
127 Good Stress versus Bad Stress.
128 Top 10 Sources of Stress.
129 Stress in Various Aspects of Your Life.
130 Three Generations of Stress.
131 Long–Term Stress versus Short–Term Stress.
132 ZZZzzz: Sleep Patterns.
133 Sources–of–Stress Game.
134 The Four Stages of Stress.
135 Fight or Flight.
136 Those Stressful Reactions.
137 Reacting to Stressful Situations.
138 Relaxation Bingo.
139 Getting Physical.
140. Support Systems.
141. How Can You Help Your Stressed Friend?
142. A Suicide Awareness Quiz.
143. Dealing with a Grieving Friend.
144. Thoughts on Death and Dying.
145. The Five Stages of Grief.
146. Which Stage of Grief (in Dying Patients)?
SECTION 6: FOOD AND FOOD–RELATED ISSUES.
147. Food Associations.
148. A Healthy–Eating Report Card.
149. An Eating–Habits Survey.
150. Favorite Food.
151. A Food Pyramid Puzzle.
152. Factors Affecting Your Food Choices.
153. “Weight” and See.
154. A Day in the Life of Your Stomach.
155. Calorie Calculations.
156. What to Know About H2O.
157. Let’s Learn About Vitamins.
158. Cholesterol: Fact or Fiction.
159. Protein Fill–in–the–Blanks.
160. All You Ever Wanted to Know About Fiber.
161. Fat Habits and You.
162. Fat Classification.
163. Fat Reduction.
164. Crazy About Carbohydrates.
165. Our Addiction to Additives.
166. Food Categories.
167. Just Because It’s a Salad Doesn’t Mean It’s Healthy.
168. Can You Help These Eaters?
169. An Eating Disorder True–False Quiz.
170. Name That Disorder.
171. Signs of an Eating Disorder.
172. The Dos and Don’ts of Helping Someone with an Eating Disorder.
173. The Food–Vocabulary Word Game.
SECTION 7: YOUR BODY AND BODY IMAGE.
174. What Is Your Body Type?
175. Calculate Your BMI.
176. Body Image and You.
176a. Body Image and You: Questions.
177. Body Image and the Sexes.
178. Cosmetic Plastic Surgery.
179. Body–Parts Connections.
180. Body–Parts Vocabulary.
181. Muscle Word Search.
182. Right Muscle, Right Exercise.
183. The Human Skeleton Crossword.
184. Female Reproductive System Vocabulary.
185. Male Reproductive System Vocabulary.
186. The Respiratory System Matching Exercise.
187. The Digestion Puzzle.
188. The Sun and Your Skin.
189. Genetics and Your Health.
190. Dr. Doctor’s Magic Square.
191. What Makes You Ill?
192. Five Diseases and Conditions That May Affect Teens.
193. Basic First–Aid Crossword.
194. Diagnose the Emergency.
195. Preventing Cardiovascular Disease.
196. A Fitness Survey.
197. Components of Fitness.
198. Anaerobic Energy, Aerobic Energy, and DOM.
199. Keeping Fit Without Doing Aerobics.
SECTION 8: SELF–ESTEEM AND KNOWING YOURSELF.
200. What’s in a Name?
201. I Am.
202. Graffiti You.
203. The YOU Report Card.
204. What You Like to Do.
205. You Are Where You Live.
206. What Would They Say About You?
207. Backing It Up with Examples.
208. How Have These Outside Factors Shaped You?
209. Personality and You.
210. Personality and Physical, Mental, and Social Health.
211. What’s Your Personality?
212. A, B, C, D Personality Types.
213. Birth Order and Personality.
214. Handwriting and Your Personality.
215. Astrological Signs and Your Personality.
216. What Do You Value?
217. What Are Your Values . . . ?
218. A Values Auction.
220. A Few of Your Favorite Things.
221. Using Your Five Senses.
222. Highs/Lows and You.
223. A Room with a Clue.
224. Cartoons, Colors, and Cars.
225. If . . ..