--Peter Jarvis, professor of continuing education and senior research professor, University of Surrey, United Kingdom
Preface to the Updated Edition.
Part One: Foundations of Adult Education.
1. What Counts as Adult Education?
2. Philosophical Perspectives.
3. Perspectives on the Past.
4. Adult Education in Contemporary Society.
Part Two: The Organization and Delivery of Adult Education
5. Providers of Formal Adult Education.
6. The Adult Learner and Concepts of Learning.
7. The Global Context of Adult Education.
8. Examining Access and Opportunity.
Part Three: Developing a Professional Field of Practice.
9. Adult Education as a Developing Profession.
10. The Unacknowledged Side of Practice.
11. Reframing Practice: The Future of Adult Education.
Epilogue: A Decade in Review and Trends for the Future.