Written by the founding and leading authorities in the field, Ecological Engineering and Ecosystem Restoration provides a firm grounding in the fundamentals, theory, and latest techniques for using ecological science to solve environmental problems. A wealth of new examples, processes, and technological advances are thoroughly examined and discussed with expert insight that only the pioneers of this now mature field can offer.
With an in–depth focus on both theories and methodologies, this detailed "how–to" guide presents real–world experience and ecosystem models for designing, managing, and modifying ecosystems in three comprehensive sections:
- Introduction Covers basic concepts and examples, including nineteen principles of ecological engineering
- Applications of Ecological Engineering Covers approaches to ecological restoration and enhancement in eight ecosystem chapters, including a wide variety of ecological management case studies
- Ecological Engineering Tools Covers ecological modeling techniques specific to predicting ecosystem structure and function in ecosystem creation and restoration
Ecological Engineering and Ecosystem Restoration has the new and updated information that is essential for today’s environmental scientists and engineers, wetlands scientists and managers, ecologists and ecological engineers, civil engineers, and landscape architects.
1. Why Ecological Engineering and Ecosystem Restoration.
3. Classification of Ecological Engineering.
5. Ecological Design Principles.
II. APPLICATIONS OF ECOLOGICAL ENGINEERING.
6. Lake and Reservoir Restoration.
7. STream and River Restoration.
8. Wetland Creation and Restoration.
9. Coastal Restoration.
10. Treatment Wetlands.
11. Bioremediation: Restoration of Contaminated Soils.
12. Mine and Disturbed Land Restoration.
13. Ecological Engineering in China.
III. ECOLOGICAL ENGINEERING TOOLS.
14. Modeling in Ecological Engineering and Ecosystem Restoration.
SVEN ERIK JØRGENSEN, PhD, is Professor of Environmental Chemistry at The Danish University of Pharmaceutical Sciences and at the Agriculture University of Denmark. He has written and edited fifty books, is a member of the editorial board of eleven journals, and is Editor in Chief of Ecological Modelling. He is also Chairman of ILEC s (International Lake Environment Committee) scientific committee.