This edition updates Professor Craig′s classic introduction to structural dynamics, which has been an invaluable resource for practicing engineers and a textbook for undergraduate and graduate courses in vibrations and/or structural dynamics. Along with comprehensive coverage of structural dynamics fundamentals, finite–elementbased computational methods, and dynamic testing methods, this Second Edition includes new and expanded coverage of computational methods, as well as introductions to more advanced topics, including experimental modal analysis and "active structures." With a systematic approach, it presents solution techniques that apply to various engineering disciplines. It discusses single degree–of–freedom (SDOF) systems, multiple degrees–of–freedom (MDOF) systems, and continuous systems in depth; and includes numeric evaluation of modes and frequency of MDOF systems; direct integration methods for dynamic response of SDOF systems and MDOF systems; and component mode synthesis.
Numerous illustrative examples help engineers apply the techniques and methods to challenges they face in the real world. MATLAB® is extensively used throughout the book, and many of the .m–files are made available on the book′s Web site. Fundamentals of Structural Dynamics, Second Edition is an indispensable reference and "refresher course" for engineering professionals; and a textbook for seniors or graduate students in mechanical engineering, civil engineering, engineering mechanics, or aerospace engineering.
Preface to Fundamentals of Structural Dynamics.
About the Authors.
1. The Science and Art of Structural Dynamics.
PART I: SINGLE–DEGREE–OF–FREEDOM SYSTEMS.
2. Mathematical Models of SDOF Systems.
3. Free Vibration of SDOF Systems.
4. Response of SDOF Systems.
5. Response of SDOF Systems to Nonperiodic Excitation.
6. Numerical Evaluation of the Dynamic Response of SDOF Systems.
7. Response of SDOF Systems to Periodic Excitation; Frequency–Domain Analysis.
PART II: MULTIPLE–DEGREE–OF FREEDOM SYSTEMS–BASIC TOPICS.
8. Mathematical Models of MDOF Systems.
9. Vibration of Undamped 2–DOF Systems.
10. Vibration Properties of MDOF Systems—Modes, Frequencies, and Damping.
11. Dynamic Response of MDOF Systems—Mode–Superposition Method.
PART III: CONTINUOUS SYSTEMS.
12. Mathematrical Models of Continuous Systems.
13. Free Vibration of Continuous Systems.
PART IV: COMPUTATIONAL MATHODS IN STRUCTURAL DYNAMICS.
14. Introduction to Finite Element Modeling of Structures.
15. Numerical Evaluation of Modes and Frequence of MDOF Systems.
16. Direct Integration Methods for Dynamic Response of SDOF Systems.
17. Component Mode Synthesis.
PART V: ADVANCED TOPICES IN STRUCTURAL DYNAMICS.
18. Introduction to Experimental Model Analysis.
19. Introduction to "Active Structures".
20. Introduction to Earkquake Response of Structures.
Appendix A: Units.
Appendix B: Complex Numbers.
Appendix C: Elements of Laplace Transforms.
Appendix D: Elements of Linear Algebra.
Appendix E: Introduction to MATLAB.