An internationally recognized authority on golf course environmental issues, Dr. Michael Hurdzan has compiled more than forty–five years of observations, experiences, training, testing, and learning to present this groundbreaking bookGolf Greens: History, Design, and Construction.
Through a unique exploration of the history of golf greens, related design theories, and future trends in the game, Golf Greens uncovers how modern designs of golf greens fit in with the complete history of the game. It looks at the strengths and weaknesses of construction methods, legal considerations, how to manage specific problems, and much more.
With photographs of old and new greens, greens under construction, and newly finished greens, Golf Greens covers:
- The design and construction of pushup, California, and USGA–recommended greens
- Guidelines for determining best construction methods, with special emphasis on site–specific concerns
- Turfgrass selection, with detailed information on artificial turf
- How to use design to make greens fast or slow to match player and course expectations, as well as provide a foundation for agronomically sound maintenance practices
- Cultural and physiological stresses, rapid grow–in procedures, biotic problems, and physical soil test results
Golf Greens: History, Design, and Construction is a valuable resource for golf course architects, golf course superintendents, irrigation specialists, turfgrass specialists, golf course owners and builders, real estate/golf course developers, and landscape architects.
CHAPTER 1: Evolution of the Golf Green.
CHAPTER 2: Golf Green Theories.
CHAPTER 3: Design Considerations for Golf Greens.
CHAPTER 4: Making Intelligent Compromises in Green Construction.
CHAPTER 5: Green Construction Techniques.
CHAPTER 6: Rootzone Sampling, Testing, and Evaluation.
CHAPTER 7: Selecting Turfgrasses or Artificial Turf for Greens.
CHAPTER 8: Legal Liabilities of Golf Green Construction.
CHAPTER 9: Postscript: My Personal Experiences Building Golf Greens and the Future of Greens.