The cases are not simply stories of how these firms undertook particular activities. Each of them deals with a specific set of issues and is written to enable exploration of these issues. Some of the cases deal with conditions which no longer concern the particular firm but illustrate a general issue applicable to retail management. Companies discussed include Promodes, Ikea, The Body Shop, Shoe Express, Benetton, and Häagen–Dazs amongst others. The cases demonstrate some of the similarities and differences facing retailers from different countries, and include questions which enable exploration of key aspects of retail strategy or operations.
Part I: The Internationalization Of Retailing:.
2. Toward A Global Retailing: The Promodè Case: Le´on Salto (Deputy Chief Operating Officer, Promodes).
3. L′internationalisation Du Prêt–à–Porter –The Case Of Kookai And Morgan′s Entry Into The UK Fashion Market: Christopher M. Moore (Glasgow Caledonian University).
4. IKEA International Development: Nathalie Prime (ESCP).
5. Aer Rianta International (Ari): Mary Wilcox and Edmund O′Callaghan (Dublin Institute of Technology).
6. Free Record Shop: The Sky Is The Limit? Evert Helfferich and Marjolein Hinfelaar (Retail Management School Leeuwarden).
7. The Body Shop International: Options for Expansion: Paul Freathy (University of Stirling).
8. The Impact Of Foreign Involvement On The Greek Department Store Sector: The BHS – Klaoudatos Experience: Christina Boutsouki, University of Leicester.
9. Czech Retailers Face A Heavy Attack Of International Chains: Tomás Dritina and Tomás Krásny (INCOMA Praha).
Part II: The Retailing Mix:.
11. Nature et Découvertes Company: Marc Benoun (Universite Dauphine).
12. Shoe Express: A New Concept In Footwear Retailing: Lynn Stainsby, (Leicester University).
13. The Benetton Nebula: Frédeéric Freéry (ESCP).
14. Håagen–Dazs: Marc Dupuis and Élisabeth Tissier–Desbordes (ESCP).
15. Coop In Italy And The Low Price Challenge: Enrico Colla: Negocia–Paris.
16. When Logistics Threaten To Become A Source Of ′Competitive Disadvantage′: The Intermarché Co–Operative Case: Gilles Paché (Université De La Méditerranée, Aix–Marseille Ii).
17. Finding The Right Location: A Case Study In The Ethics Of Retail Location: Paul Whysall (Nottingham Trent University).
18. The Early Socialization of Graduates Into The Retail Industry: Jacqui Gush (Bournemouth University).
19. A Christmas Fit For A Princes′ Square: The Role Of Design In Shopping Centre Positioning: Malcolm Lochhead and Christopher M. Moore (Glasgow Caledonian University).
20. La Caisse d′Eacute;pargne : Toward Optimal Distribution: Frédéric Jallat And Elisabeth Tissier–Desbordes, (ESCP).
21. The Olympic Museum Shop: Lluis Martinez–Ribes, Esade And Maria Dolores De Juan Vigaray (Universitat D′alacant).
John Dawson is professor of marketing at the University of Edinburgh and is visiting professor at ESADE, Barcelona. He has been visiting professor at universities in the USA, Australia and Japan and has been actively involved in researching retail issues for thirty years. His research interests are in international retailing, distribution channel relationships and public policy issues in retailing.