- Ruth Ash, dean, Orlean Bullard Beeson, School of Education and Professional Studies, Samford University
- Barbara Bender, associate dean, Graduate School–New Brunswick, Rutgers University
- Robert Berdahl, chancellor, University of California, Berkeley
- Jean Ann Box, associate dean, Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education and Professional Studies, Samford University
- John Byrne, president emeritus, Oregon State University and executive director, Kellogg Commission
- Christine Haska Cermak, associate provost, Naval Postgraduate School
- Brian Chabot, professor, ecology and evolutionary biology, Cornell University
- Mary Sue Coleman, president, University of Michigan
- Ron Coley, associate vice chancellor, Business and Administrative Services, University of California, Berkeley
- Stacey Connaughton, assistant professor, communication, Rutgers University
- Maury Cotter, director, Strategic Planning and Quality Improvement, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- John Dew, director, Continuous Quality Improvement, University of Alabama
- Paul Dimond, principal administrative analyst, Business and Administrative Services, University of California, Berkeley
- Carol Everett, associate director, Office of Planning and Institutional Assessment, Pennsylvania State University
- Conrado (Bobby) Gempesaw, vice provost, Academic and International Programs, University of Delaware
- Adolph Haislar, senior associate vice president, Auxiliary Services and Excellence in Higher Education, Miami University
- W. James Haley, associate vice president, Facilities, Miami University
- Phyllis Hoffman, director, Center for Organizational Effectiveness (COrE), University of California, Berkeley
- Francis Lawrence, president emeritus, Rutgers University
- Diane Moen, vice chancellor, Administrative and Student Life Services, University of Wisconsin, Stout
- James Morley, president, National Association of College and Business Officers (NACUBO)
- Richard Norman, vice president, Finance and Business Services and treasurer, Miami University
- Leonard Pollack, manager, Human Resources Development Center, Pennsylvania State University
- Mo Qayoumi, vice president, Administration and Finance and chief financial officer, California State University, Northridge
- Michael Quinlan, interim associate vice president, Business Services, Rutgers University
- Louise Sandmeyer, executive director, Office of Planning and Institutional Assessment, Pennsylvania State University
- Robert Secor, coordinator, Academic Leadership Program, Committee for Institutional Cooperation
- Michael Shafer, professor, political science, and director, Citizenship and Service Education
- Program, Rutgers University
- Charles Sorensen, chancellor, University of Wisconsin, Stout
- Stephen Spangehl, director, Academic Quality Improvement Project, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
- Graham Spanier, president, Pennsylvania State University
- Marie Sutthoff, Administrative Services and Facilities Management, University of Cincinnati
- James Tucker, vice president, Administrative and Business Services, University of Cincinnati
- David Ward, president, American Council on Education and chancellor emeritus, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Chester Warzynski, director, Organizational Development Services, Cornell University
- Susan Williams, professor, management,
- Jack Massey Graduate School of Business, Belmont University
- Billie Willits, assistant vice president, Human Resources, Pennsylvania State University
About the Authors.
1. Excellence in Higher Education: Eight Fundamental Challenges.
2. Broadening Public Appreciation for the Work of the Academy: Committing Ourselves to Dialogue.
The Road Scholars Program (Graham B. Spanier).
Responding to Wants: Innovating to Address Needs (David Ward and Maury Cotter).
3. Better Understanding and Addressing the Needs of Workplaces: Bridging the Gap Between the World of the Academy and the World of Work.
Preparing High–Performing Teachers (Ruth C. Ash and Jean Ann Box).
Learning Leadership Competencies as Campus Consultants (Stacey L. Connaughton and Michael C. Quinlan).
Formalizing Corporate Engagement (John Dew).
4. Becoming More Effective Learning Organizations: Clarifying Goals and Evaluating Outcomes.
Implementing a Strategic Plan Using Indicators and Targets (Mary Sue Coleman).
Measuring Excellence from a Stakeholder Perspective (Susan G. Williams).
A Balanced Scorecard for Business and Administrative Services at the University of California, Berkeley (Ron Coley and Paul K. Dimond).
Comparing Solutions to Campus Parking Problems (Mo Qayoumi).
5. Integrating Organizational Assessment, Planning, and Improvement: Making Organizational Self–Study and Change Everyday Activities.
The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Academic Quality Improvement Project (AQIP) (Stephen D. Spangehl).
Applying Excellence in Higher Education in Finance and Administrative Services (Richard M. Norman, W. James Haley, and Adolph Haislar).
Winning the Baldrige National Quality Award (Charles W. Sorensen and Diane Moen).
6. Enhancing Collaboration and Community: Aligning the Rhetoric and Reality of Campus Culture.
Advancing Academic Excellence and Collaboration Through Strategic Planning (Francis L. Lawrence and Christine Haska Cermak).
The Committee on Institutional Cooperation s Academic Leadership Program (Robert Secor).
7. Recognizing That Everyone in the Institution Is a Teacher: Focusing on the Student Experience.
Enhancing the Quality of Graduate Student Instruction: The Teaching Assistant Project (TAP) (Barbara E. Bender).
The University of Cincinnati Is Listening: The Quality Service Initiative (James R. Tucker and Marie L. Sutthoff).
Community and Service Learning: The Rutgers CASE Program (D. Michael Shafer).
8. Devoting More Attention and Resources to Leadership: Attracting, Developing, and Retaining Outstanding Leaders.
Recruiting and Supporting Academic Leaders at the University of Delaware (Conrado M. (Bobby) Gempesaw II).
Leadership Development at Cornell University (Chester C. Warzynski and Brian F. Chabot).
Penn State s Excellence in Leadership and Management Program (Billie S. Willits and Leonard E. Pollack).
The Business of Higher Education (James E. Morley, Jr.).
9. More Broadly Framing Our Vision of Excellence: Pursuing Excellence in All That We Do.
Taking Charge of Change: The Kellogg Commission on the Future of State and Land–Grant Universities (John V. Byrne).
Building Community and Shared Vision Through The Quality Expo (Louise Sandmeyer and Carol Lindborg Everett).
Organizational Change at Berkeley: A Work in Progress (Robert M. Berdahl and Phyllis Hoffman).
10. Excellence in Practice: Asking More of Ourselves and Our Institutions.
Dr. Ruben is the author or editor of thirty books.