Praise for the First Edition
"Those who work with Black families will find the book a helpful resource, and thoughtful lay people will find that the text augments what they have long suspected. Irrespective of experience levels, all readers will more fully appreciate the fact that the Black family is far from a monolithic, deficient, or amoral institution."
"Authors Robert Staples and Leanor Boulin Johnson describe how external forces, such as economics, racism, culture, and politics, shape the dynamics of the modern Black family."
"This work makes a significant contribution to the field."
Journal of Marriage and the Family
Preface to the Revised Edition.
Preface to the First Edition.
1. History as Fact and Fiction.
2. Studying Black Families.
3. Work and Money: The Struggle.
4. Patterns of Sexual Intimacy.
5. Singlehood and Partner Selection.
6. Gender Roles and Male Sexism.
7. Marital Patterns and Interactions.
8. The Challenges of Parenting.
9. Kinship and Community Support.
10. Social Change, Challenges, and Prospects.
About the Authors.