This best selling issue is the 106th volume of the Jossey–Bass higher education report New Directions for Student Services.
1. A Generational Approach to Understanding Students 5Michael D. Coomes, Robert DeBardThis chapter presents a theoretical model of generational succession that demonstrates how the values of one generation interact with and are influenced by others.
2. Understanding the Historical and Cultural Influences That Shape Generations 17Michael D. CoomesHistory and popular culture are discussed as useful lenses for understanding how a generation is shaped.
3. Millennials Coming to College 33Robert DeBardThe thematic elements and demographic characteristics of the Millennial generation are discussed.
4. Constructions of Student Development Across the Generations 47C. Carney StrangeThis chapter explores how generational differences influence the understandings, emphases, and applications of student development theory.
5. Teaching, Learning, and Millennial Students 59Maureen E. WilsonUsing the literature on teaching and learning in college classrooms, this chapter offers recommendations for enhancing Millennial student learning.
6. Understanding Diversity in Millennial Students 73Ellen M. BroidoA portrait of the diversity present in the Millennial generation is offered. Those demographics give student affairs practitioners unique opportunities to address social justice issues.
7. Student Affairs for a New Generation 87John Wesley LoweryThe implications of the arrival of Millennial students for the design and delivery of student affairs programs, services, and divisions are discussed.