Preparing Teachers for a Changing World recommends that, in addition to strong subject matter knowledge, all new teachers have a basic understanding of how people learn and develop, as well as how children acquire and use language, which is the currency of education. In addition, the book suggests that teaching professionals must be able to apply that knowledge in developing curriculum that attends to students' needs, the demands of the content, and the social purposes of education: in teaching specific subject matter to diverse students, in managing the classroom, assessing student performance, and using technology in the classroom.
Committee on Teacher Education Members.
Cooperating University Liaisons.
About the Authors.
1. Introduction (John Bransford, Linda Darling-Hammond, Pamela LePage).
2. Theories of Learning and Their Roles in Teaching (John Bransford, Sharon Derry, David Berliner, Karen Hammerness With Kelly Lyn Beckett).
3. Educating Teachers for Developmentally Appropriate Practice (Frances Degen Horowitz, Linda Darling-Hammond, John Bransford With James Comer, Kathy Rosebrock, Kim Austin, Frances Rust).
4. Enhancing the Development of Students' Language(s) (Guadalupe Valdes, George Bunch, Catherine Snow, Carol Lee With Lucy Matos).
5. Educational Goals and Purposes: Developing a Curricular Vision for Teaching (Linda Darling-Hammond, James Banks, Karen Zumwalt, Louis Gomez, Miriam Gamoran Sherin, Jacqueline Griesdorn, Lou-Ellen Finn).
6. Teaching Subject Matter (Pamela Grossman, Alan Schoenfeld With Carol Lee).
7. Teaching Diverse Learners (James Banks, Marilyn Cochran-Smith, Luis Moll, Anna Richert, Kenneth Zeichner, Pamela LePage, Linda Darling-Hammond, Helen Duffy With Morva McDonald).
8. Assessment (Lorrie Shepard, Karen Hammerness, Linda Darling-Hammond, Frances Rust With Joan Baratz Snowden, Edmund Gordon, Cris Gutierrez, Arturo Pacheco).
9. Classroom Management (Pamela LePage, Linda Darling-Hammond, Hanife Akar With Cris Gutierrez, Evelyn Jenkins-Gunn, Kathy Rosebrock).
10. How Teachers Learn and Develop (Karen Hammerness, Linda Darling-Hammond, John Bransford With David Berliner, Marilyn Cochran-Smith, Morva McDonald, Kenneth Zeichner).
11. The Design of Teacher Education Programs (Karen Hammerness, Linda Darling-Hammond With Pamela Grossman, Frances Rust, Lee Shulman).
12. Implementing Curriculum Renewal in Teacher Education: Managing Organizational and Policy Change (Linda Darling-Hammond, Arturo Pacheco, Nicholas Michelli, Pamela LePage, Karen Hammerness With Peter Youngs).