Also included are practical suggestions for presenting each math topic...organizing the content of a lesson...selecting appropriate teaching/learning aids...and building your knowledge of particular math concepts.
For easy use, all of these lists, worksheets, and teaching ideas are printed in a big 8–1/4" x 11" format ready to be photocopied as many times as needed and organized into 14 sections. Here′s a rundown of each section along with sample list and activities.
- Standards and methodologies NCTM Curriculum Standards for Grades K–4 and 5–8 Communicating and writing in elementary mathematics, Occupations and careers: People who use math in their jobs
- Beginning mathematics Classification, Estimation, Measurements, Spatial relationships
- Geometry How children learn geometric concepts, Vocabulary for polygons, 28 Symmetry patterns
- Numeration and counting Ancient number systems, Cardinal and ordinal numbers, Counting up to 10 in other languages, Prime numbers, Scientific notation
- Basic operation basic fact families for addition, Story problems, Finger multiplication
- Fractions Fraction vocabulary, Subtracting Fractions, Ratios, Fraction activity books
- Number theory Rules of divisibility, Prime factorization, Making factors trees, Finding the square roots
- Decimals Changing fractions to decimals, multiplication and division of decimals, Changing percent into a fraction and changing decimal into a percent
- Measurements Equations, Vectors: sailing activity, Dividing on a grid, Multiplying mixed numbers
- Problem solving Developing a problem–solving heuristic, Guess and check problems, Writing numbers sentence problems, Draw a picture problem
- Technology computer math programs for grades K–12, How to use the internet, WWW sites, Search engines
- Patterns Geometric patterns, Tangrams, Pattern blocks, Pentominoes, and Rods, Fraction strips and circles
SECTION 1: Standards and methodologies.
Standard and methodologies worksheet.
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
NCTM Curriculum standards for grade K–4.
NCTN Curriculum standards for grades 5–8.
Publishers of instructional materials in elementary mathematics.
Vendors for math resource materials.
Publishers of teacher activity books and materials.
Holistic teaching methods in elementary mathematics.
Communicating and writing in elementary mathematics.
Mathematics and children′s literature: a bibliography.
Teacher resource books linking mathematics to literature and writing.
Occupations and careers: people who use mathematics.
SECTION 2: Beginning mathematics.
Beginning mathematics worksheet.
Spatial and temporal relationship.
Theories of beginning mathematics.
Resources for beginning mathematics.
SECTION 3: Geometry.
How children learn geometric concepts.
Vocabulary for geometric solid shapes.
Solid shapes: polyhedrons.
Faces of solid shapes.
Nets for solid shapes.
Vocabulary for polygons.
Classification of triangles.
Classification of quadrilaterals: definitions.
Nets for pentomino figures: boxes.
Nets for hexonimo figures: cubes.
Formulas for finding perimeter and area of polygons.
Pick′s theorem: finding area using a geoboard.
Formulas for finding volume of polyhedras.
28 symmetry patterns.
Geometry activity books.
SECTION 4: Numeration and counting.
Numeration and counting worksheet.
The Egyptian counting system.
The Roman counting system.
The Chinese counting system.
Ancient number systems.
The Hindu–Arabic counting system.
Cardinal and ordinal numbers.
Expanded and exponential numbers.
100 number array.
Counting by 1′s, 2′s, 5′s, and 10′s.
Counting up to 10 in other languages.
SECTION 5: Basic operations.
Basic operations worksheet.
Properties of addition and subtraction of whole numbers.
Properties of multiplication and division of whole numbers.
100 basic addition facts.
100 basic subtraction facts.
100 basic multiplication facts.
100 basic division facts.
Algorithms for addition.
Algorithms for subtraction.
Algorithms for multiplication.
Algorithms for division.
The basic facts families for addition.
The basic facts families for multiplication.
Products of nine.
SECTION 6: Number theory.
Number theory worksheet.
Complex number system.
Rules of divisibility.
Product expressions: finding prime numbers.
Sieve of Eratosthenes.
Prime factorization: making factor trees.
Prime factoring large numbers.
Finding the LCM (least common multiple).
Finding the GCF (greatest common factor).
Finding square roots.
SECTION 7: Fractions.
Teaching the concept of fractions.
Fraction activity books.
SECTION 8: Decimals.
The decimal system: exponential and expanded notations.
Teaching the concept of decimals.
Addition and subtraction of decimals.
Multiplication and division of decimals.
Changing a fraction to a decimal.
Terminating and nonterminating fractions–decimals.
Changing a percent into a fraction and changing a decimal into a percent.
Decimal activity books.
SECTION 9: Measurement.
The English system of measurements.
The metric system of measurements.
The US monetary system.
Keeping a checkbook.
Terms in time.
Speed, time, and distance.
Air miles between major US cities.
SECTION 10: Probability and statistics.
Probability and statistics worksheet.
Independent events with cards, dice, spinners, and marbles.
Probability and statistics resources.
Probability and statistics activity book.
SECTION 11: Algebraic thinking.
Logic: learning to read mathematics.
Vectors in elementary mathematics.
Vectors: sailing activity.
Multiplying on a grid.
Multiplying mixed numbers.
Dividing on a grid.
SECTION 12: Problem solving.
Problem solving worksheet.
Developing a problem solving heuristic.
Problems for strategy 1: act it out.
Problems for strategy 2: draw a picture.
Problems for strategy 3: guess and check.
Problems for strategy 4: look for a pattern.
Problems for strategy 5: make a chart or table.
Problems for strategy 6: make a list.
Problems for strategy 7: make a model.
Problems for strategy 8: work backwards.
Problems for strategy 9: write a number sentence.
SECTION 13: Technology.
Computer math programs for grades K–12.
How to use the Internet.
World Wide Web (WWW) sites.
SECTION 14: Reproducible patterns.
Reproducible patterns worksheet.
Nets for geometric solids.
Geometric figures for sorting.
Flash cards for multiplication facts.
Number lines and numbers.
Tangrams, pattern blocks, pentominoes, and rods.
Fraction strips and circles.
Coins, paper money, and checkbook.
Map of United States.