Praise for Teaching Naked
"Bowen makes the most intelligent argument I′ve encountered about how we should think about teaching and learning and emerging technologies."
Ken Bain, provost and vice president for academic affairs and professor of history and urban education, University of the District of Columbia; author, What the Best College Teachers Do
"Insightful and provocative, it is filled with practical advice for teachers, administrators, and institutions on how to navigate the revolutionary present in order to remain relevant for the future."
Elizabeth Barkley, professor of music, Foothill College; author, Student Engagement Techniques and Collaborative Learning Techniques
"This is one of the most exciting books I have read in a long time. I could not stop sharing quotes from it with my wife, also an educator, while reading it."
L. Dee Fink, author, Creating Significant Learning Experiences
About the Author xxi
PART I: The New Digital Landscape 1
1. The Flat Classroom and Global Competition 3
2. Social Proximity and the Virtual Classroom 27
3. Games, Customization, and Learning 51
PART II: Designing 21st–Century Courses 73
4. Designing College More Like a Video Game 75
5. Technology for Information Delivery 103
6. Technology for Engagement 129
7. Technology for Assessment 153
8. The Naked Classroom 185
PART III Strategies for Universities of the Future 215
9. The Educational Product in the Internet Age 217
10. The Naked Curriculum 243
11. The Naked Campus 267