Part One: The Purpose of Schools.
1. A Future in Jeopardy: Why the Schools of Today Must Change.
2. How the Past Has Shaped the Present: The Shaky Foundation of School System Structures.
3. New Purposes for a New Era: Reinventing Our Schools.
Part Two: The Ingredients of Invention.
4. The Power of Vision: Creating and Sharing the Seeds of Innovation.
5. The Capacity to Respond Quickly: Building Adaptability into the System.
6. The Ability to Rally Support for Change: Managing to Satisfy the Needs of Constituents.
7. The Creation of Change Systems: Tackling Problems at Their Source.
8. A Focus on Results: Evaluating Performers and Performances.
Part Three: Leadership for the Twenty–First Century.
9. Leading a School System Through Change: Key Steps for Moving Reform Forward.
10. A Bright Future Secured: Developing Strong Leaders for Our Schools.