About the Author.
2. The Role of Public Relations in Health Care.
3. Integrating the Public Relations Function within the Organization and the System.
4. Senior Public Relations Officer–CEO Relationship.
5. Organizing the Public Relations Function.
6. Public Relations and Institutional Planning.
7. The Role of Research in Health Care Public Relations.
8. Developing Stakeholder Relationships: The Core of Health Care Public Relations.
9. Identifying and Managing Issues.
10. Community Relations.
11. Media Relations.
12. Crisis Communication.
14. Marketing Communications.
15. Other Public Relations Methods.
16. Relationships with Special Audiences: Employees.
17. Relationships with Special Audiences: Customer (Patients, Members, Subscribers, Families).
18. Relationships with Special Audiences: Physicians.
19. Relationships with Special Audiences: Payers and Intermediaries (Employers, Insurers, and Managed Care Organizations).
20. Building Relationships with Special Audiences: Legislators and Policy Makers.
21. Special Challenges: Ethical and Legal Issues.
23. Looking Ahead.
Appendix A. Community Assessment: A Model "How–To" Based on Two Communities′ Experience.
Appendix B. General Guide for the Release of Patient Information by the Hospital.
Appendix C. Riding the Wave: The Future of Health Care Marketing and Public Relations.