- a Book Hook component in which the teacher reads aloud from a high-interest book while engaging the class in critical thinking responses
- a Supported Independent Reading component in which students are encouraged to select and read progressively challenging books while the teacher offers instruction through individualized confer-ences
- a Special Interest component in which students engage in reading-enrichment activities
PART I: TOWARD JOYFUL READING.
1. The Schoolwide Enrichment Model for Reading (SEM-R): Why now?
2. Why Differentiate Reading Instruction?
3. Reading Instruction Essentials.
PART II: THE PROGRAM PHASES.
4. Hooking Kids on Reading: Phase I.
5. Supported Independent Reading and Conferences: Phase II.
6. Facilitating Interest and Choice: Phase III.
PART III: SUCCEEDING WITH SEM-R.
7. Library and Classroom Management Strategies.
8. Differentiated Practices to Challenge all Readers.
9. Making Use of Literacy Coaches.
10. The Program in After-School and Other Settings.
A. Sample SEM-R Bookmarks (4).
B. Reading Interest-a-Lyzer.
C. Book Lists and Resources.
D. Sun/Cloud Template.
E. Reading Growth Graph.
F. Teacher Log: Template and Examples.
G. Student Log: Template and Examples.