Therapists who treat children and adolescents are confronted with unique problems that often challenge traditional methods of intervention. This Second Edition is an indispensable resource, revised and updated to provide therapists with a wide variety of valuable treatment and nontraditional intervention techniques, such as expressive arts, relaxation, deep pressure/touch, confrontational, stress–challenge, nature–oriented, and modeling therapy. The Second Edition provides important, clinically proven techniques, including:
- Wilderness/Challenge programs for youth
- The use of dance movement therapy with troubled youth
- Musical interaction therapy for autistic children
- Pet therapy
- The video playback technique with children
- Hypnotic techniques for children with anxiety problems
- Touch therapy for infants, children, and adolescents
- Therapeutic use of computers with children
- Biofeedback with children and adolescents
- Programmed distance writing for acting out adolescents
- Guided imagery with children and adolescents
- Bibliotherapy for children and teens
- Focusing as a therapeutic technique with children and adolescents.
These techniques cut across diagnostic categories and theoretical orientations and can be integrated within all therapeutic styles.
Musical Interaction Therapy for Children with Autism (D. Wimpory & S. Nash).
The Use of Dance Movement Therapy with Troubled Youth (H. Payne).
Imagery––A Tool in Child Psychotherapy (M. Johnson).
Programmed Distance Writing in Therapy with Acting–Out Adolescents (L. L′Abate).
Wilderness Therapy for Adolescents (D. Berman & J. Davis–Berman).
Rational–Emotive Adventure Challenge Therapy (S. Leeds).
Biofeedback with Children and Adolescents (T. Culbert).
Therapeutic Applications of Computers with Children (L. Aymard).
Video Self Modeling and Related Procedures in Psychotherapy (P. Dowrick).
Hypnotic Techniques for the Treatment of Children with Anxiety Problems (R. Griffin).
Focusing as a Therapeutic Technique with Children and Young Adolescents (B. Santen).
Animal–Assisted Therapy Interventions with Children (G. Mallon).
Touch Therapy for Infants, Children, and Adolescents (M. Hernandez–Reif & T. Field).
Bibliotherapy: The Use of Children′s Literature as a Therapeutic Tool (D. Ginns–Gruenberg & A. Zacks).