From the Wall Street Journal and top cable business news programs to global politics, the topic of corporate governance is in the business media spotlight. Yet despite this surge of popular attention and the board of directors’ growing power and burdens, solid advice for running a better board remains scattered and inconsistent. At a time of sharp scrutiny and far tighter board accountability, today’s corporate boards and top managers need practical wisdom more than ever. In this invaluable guidebook, the founder of the online newsletter Boardroom INSIDER compiles the best "first–person" advice for quality boards. Here are expert answers to the most widely asked governance questions from today’s board members and top corporate management. From CEO evaluation to logistics and policymaking, bone up on:
- Effective board recruiting
- The hottest trends in board pay
- What to do when your CEO is the problem
- Running a smart audit committee
- How to manage board–meeting surprises
- Dealing with corporate counsel, boardroom battles, board investigations, and strikes
- Surviving the family boardroom
- Board retirement policies
- Career builders for women in the boardroom
- Putting your board retreat to work
- Strategies for nonprofit boards
Including dozens of helpful checklists and inside examples of the governance strategies of leading companies, Improving Corporate Boards will help all directors ask the questions that hold the key to better governance for the future.
CEO Succession Planning.
Search for Directors.
Smarter Audit Committees.
Effective Compensation Committees.
Better Board Logistics.
Board Tech Tips.
Board Meetings and Minutes.
Board Info Ideas.
Board and Internal Company Resources.
Boards and the Corporate Secretary.
Your Board as a Strategic Tool.
Behind Boardroom Doors.
Coping with Liability Dangers.
The Startup Board.
Family/Closely Held Businesses.
The Public Face of Your Board.
Boosting Your Personal Board Prospects.
Your Board Income.
Women in the Boardroom.
Boards and M&A.
International Boardroom Trends.