Whether you're a first-time home buyer or a seasoned investor, this practical guide covers everything you need to know to invest safely, confidently, and profitably in today's real estate market-while getting the most out of the latest tax laws.
The Home Buyer's Advisor shows you precisely what to look for in a real estate investment, where to find the best buying opportunities, how to use proven holding strategies such as land-banking and lease options, and how to make your home a secure foundation for future real estate investments. Ideas for a secure retirement are also included. Packed with ideas, strategies, and real-world examples, Andrew McLean's Home Buyer's Advisor will show you how to:
- Take advantage of a wide range of financing methods, such as originating new VA, FHA, and conventional loans; loan assumption; wrap-around loans; and other alternative financing methods
- Hunt for bargain properties using the Internet
- Profit from HUD and VA repossessions and bank foreclosures, and bid for property at special auctions
- Use professional appraisal techniques to ensure you're getting the best value for your investment
- Utilize smart investment strategies and holding techniques
- Manage properties without all the hassles
- Minimize, defer, and transfer more of your tax liability
- And much more!
PART I: THE PRELIMINARIES.
CHAPTER 1: Why Buying a Home Is a Great Investment.
CHAPTER 2: Basic Guidelines for Successful Home Buying.
PART II: FINANCE 101—HOW TO GET THE MONEY YOU NEED.
CHAPTER 3: The Mortgage Alternatives.
CHAPTER 4: Getting Financing.
PART III: CHOOSING THE IDEAL HOUSE.
CHAPTER 5: Which House Is Right for You?
CHAPTER 6: The Resale House.
CHAPTER 7: Other Home Choices.
PART IV: TEAM MEMBERS, GUIDELINES, AND VALUATION.
CHAPTER 8: Selecting Your Real Estate Team.
CHAPTER 9: Key Guidelines to Making a Superior Investment.
CHAPTER 10: Appraisal—How to Determine Value.
PART V: THE SOURCES.
CHAPTER 11: Where to Find Your Diamond in the Rough.
CHAPTER 12: How to Buy Foreclosures.
CHAPTER 13: How to Buy HUD Homes and VA Repossessions.
PART VI: THE MIDDLE GAME.
CHAPTER 14: How to Negotiate a Winning Deal.
CHAPTER 15: Protecting Your Home.
CHAPTER 16: The Closing and Escrow.
CHAPTER 17: Wise Things to Do after You Buy.
CHAPTER 18: Fixing Up the Fixer-Upper.
PART VII: THE END GAME.
CHAPTER 19: Profitable Holding Strategies.
CHAPTER 20: Property Management.
CHAPTER 21: Selling Your Property.
CHAPTER 22: Pay Less Tax.
CHAPTER 23: Advanced Investment Strategies: Your Second Property, and Beyond.
APPENDIX A: USEFUL FORMS.
APPENDIX B: WEB SITES.