To demonstrate the potential scope of their method, they outline a myriad of concrete applications, including: institutional policy making; corporate strategic planning; organizational development and renewal efforts; mergers of companies and hospitals; community–based planning and development; planning the future of cities, regions, industries, and professional associations; managing conflict between diverse interest groups; creating strategic alliances between organizations and networks; and developing long–term partnerships with customers, suppliers or government regulators. The Search Conference is a comprehensive introduction to a powerful approach for planning organizational change and community action.
1. Learning and Planning Our Way to a Desirable Future.
2. Uses and Advantages of Search Conference Methods.
UNDERSTANDING SEARCH CONFERENCE PRINCIPLES.
3. Planning in Stable and Turbulent Environments.
4. Open Systems Thinking and the Power of Human Ideals.
5. The Strength of Democratic Learning.
6. Conditions for Creative Collaboration.
STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE SEARCH CONFERENCES.
7. Planning for Success.
8. Designing the Search Conference for Effectiveness.
9. Managing the Search Conference.
10. The Search Conference Step by Step.
Conclusion: Beyond Stagnation.
Epilogue (Fred Emery).
"As Emery and Purser ably demonstrate, the Search Conference provides a powerful tool for making organizations flexible and responsive, Equally relevant for transnational corporations and community nonprofits, this book is a must–read." (Leo Burke, director, Center for Management & Organizational Learning, Motorola University, Motorola, Inc.)