Campus Crisis Management
A Comprehensive Guide to Planning, Prevention, Response, and Recovery
- Perform campus crisis audit
- Assemble crisis team (members and roles)
- Develop campus crisis management plan (determine protocols)
- Create plan for communication (emergency personnel, students & faculty, parents, media)
- Train teams
- Prepare for psychological first aid
- Review lessons learned from previous crises
Eugene L. Zdziarski II, Norbert W. Dunkel, J. Michael Rollo & Associates
Praise for Campus Crisis Management
"Crisis work is a blend of compassion, training, and experience. This book is packed with practical ways to prepare for and manage crisis while never losing site of the human aspect that is at the heart of every crisis."
Cynthia Cherrey, vice president for student affairs, Tulane University
"This valuable book is the ounce of prevention that colleges need to prepare themselves for a campus crisis. More than a dozen professionals draw on their experience and knowledge to offer advice regarding the planning, training, communicating, and healing techniques that will help a college campus best prepare for a crisis and, if necessary, recover from one."
James Baumann, director of communications and markeing, Association of College and University Housing Officers International
About the Authors.
Part I: Understanding Crisis Management.
1. The Impact of Crisis (J. Michael Rollo and Eugene L. Zdziarski II).
2. The Crisis Matrix (Eugene L. Zdziarski II, J. Michael Rollo, and Norbert W. Dunkel).
Part II: Crisis Management in Practice.
3. Crisis Management Teams (Grant P. Sherwood and David McKelfresh).
4. Developing a Crisis Management Plan (J. Michael Rollo and Eugene L. Zdziarski II).
5. Crisis Communication (Cynthia J. Lawson).
6. Working with Emergency Personnel and Outside Agencies (Norbert W. Dunkel and Linda J. Stump).
7. Psychological First Aid in the Aftermath of Crisis (Wayne Griffin).
8. Crisis Training (Maureen E. Wilson).
Part III: Lessons from Crisis Management.
9. Environmental Crises (Pat Whitely, Jacinta Felice, and Kevin Bailey).
10. Facility Crises (Tom Brown, Craig Allen, Jim Conneely, and Claire Good).
11. Human Crises (Brent G. Paterson, Lee E. Bird, Suzanne M. Burks, Cindy K. Washington, Tom Ellett, and Anthony Daykin).
Part IV: Maintaining a Crisis Management Focus.
12. Contemporary Issues in Campus Crisis Management (Beth Hellwig–Olson, Merna Jacobsen, and Azfar Mian).
13. Where Do We Go from Here? (J. Michael Rollo, Eugene L. Zdziarski II, and Norbert W. Dunkel).
Appendix: Crisis Debriefing (Daryl Johnston).