Each classroom–tested strategy is presented in a simple–to–use format for quick reference that shows: What the technique or idea is, Why you need it, and How to make it work. Plus, the techniques are complemented by support ideas, time–saving reproducible forms, lively illustrations, and interesting, reproducible quote about teaching.
For easy to use, it?s all printed in a big, 8–1/2" x 11" lay–flat format for easy photocopying and its organized into 10 sections:
- PHILOSOPHY provides a philosophical framework for the strategies presented in the book, such as "The Three C?s of Teaching."
- KNOW YOU "CLIENTS" features activities and surveys, including "Icebreaker: Backpack Introductions" and the "student Survey," to help you learn about your students and their needs.
- HOME AND SCHOOL gives you support ideas and reproducible forms for improving the home school connection, such as "Newsletters" and "Parent Homework Letter."
- THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL offers tops and ready–to–use tools for getting the school year off to a positive start, including "Classroom Rules Checklist" and "Classroom Welcome Sign."
- VOCABULARY presents effective techniques for modifying student behavior, such as "Grandma?s Law," which motivates students with a payoff ("desert") for completing a task.
- TECHNIQUE, STRATEGIES, AND GOOD IDEAS is packed with easy–to–use ideas, including "Noise Level Control" and "One–Minute Correction," for solving discipline problems.
- TEACHING SKILLS provides practical procedures that enhance your teaching and decrease disruptive behavior, such as "Transition Time" to reduce the time spent between activities and a "Teacher Self–Assessment" to help you evaluate and improve your teaching techniques.
- GREAT "LITTLE GEMS" offers a variety of helpful discipline and teaching strategies. For example, "Token Economies" shows you how to use a pint system to reward good behavior.
- SURVIVAL SKILLS gives you invaluable ideas for conserving energy and relieving stress, such as "Crisis Management" and the "24–Hour Rule" for handling difficult situations.
- FORMS features time–saving, reproducible forms, including "Substitute Teacher Form," "Office Discipline Ticket," and "Student/Teacher/Parent Action Contract."
About This Teacher′s Resource v
Section 1 Philosophy 1
Section 2 Know Your "Clients" 17
Section 3 Home and School 57
Section 4 The First Week of School 75
Section 5 Vocabulary 93
Section 6 Techniques, Strategies, and Good Ideas 105
Section 7 Teaching Skills 147
Section 8 Great "Little Gems" 189
Section 9 Survival Skills 207
Section 10 Forms 225