"I have not come across a better book on the overall strategy and techniques necessary for the planning and implementation of a capital campaign. Ms. Walker covers all of the bases in a clear and concise manner that will benefit many organizations, especially those embarking on their first campaign. This book is an excellent tool for the senior development officer or executive director who may have conducted several campaigns. The examples of new trends in philanthropy and management tools for endowment are very helpful."
Gordon H. "Nick" Mueller, PhD
President and CEO, The National D–Day Museum
America′s National World War II Museum
Nonprofit Essentials: The Capital Campaign is an accessible and easy–to–read professional guide that provides concise, in–depth advice on capital campaigns. In lively discussions, independent consultant Julia Walker shares the tips, techniques, and programs that have helped her raise more than $600 million in capital campaigns.
Nonprofit Essentials highlights new tools available through the Internet, such as Web sites for prospect research and the use of electronic media to help make an organization′s case stand out among the competition, as well as such topics as:
- Determining if an organization is ready for a campaign
- Budgeting and staffing for a campaign
- Setting realistic goals
- Creating a campaign gift table
- Identifying and training volunteers
- Donor cultivation that produces results
- Campaign recognition practices
1. Before Beginning Your Capital Campaign.
2. Preparing for the Capital Campaign.
3. Campaign Structure: Timetables, Gift Tables, and Goals.
4. Effective Campaign Leadership.
5. Making a Compelling Case.
6. Prospect Identification, Cultivation, and Solicitation.
7. Strategies That Motivate Donors.
8. Repositioning Your Organization through the Capital Campaign.
Rules of the Road.