Few people have had as profound an impact on the theory and practice of family therapy as Salvador Minuchin. As one commentator put it, "Memories of his classic sessions have become the standard against which therapists judge their own best work." This new edition of the classic, Mastering Family Therapy, offers beginners and experienced practitioners alike the opportunity to learn the art and science of family therapy under this pioneering clinician and teacher.
In elegant clinical interplays, Minuchin, his colleagues Wai–Yung Lee and George Simon, and eight advanced students provide answers to such critical questions as:
- What does it take to master the art of family therapy?
- How do I create an effective personal style?
- How can I become an instrument for growth for troubled families?
This updated Second Edition features:
- An overview and critique of new models of treatment in the field, especially evidence–based models of family treatment
- New case material highlighting the impact of societal context on families
- Minuchin′s conceptualization of a four–step process of family assessment, including how history can impact current family functioning
A new and thoroughly revised version of the classic text, Mastering Family Therapy, Second Edition is essential reading for all those who practice, study, or teach family therapy.
PREFACE (Salvador Minuchin).
FOREWORD viiBraulio Montalvo
FAMILIES AND FAMILY THERAPY
1 Family Therapy: A Theoretical Dichotomy 3
2 Family Particulars: All Families Are Different 17
3 Family Universals: All Families Are Alike 33
4 Family Therapies: Clinical Practice and Supervision 41
5 Contemporary Trends: Whatever Happened to Family Therapy? 61
6 The Therapeutic Encounter 75
STORIES OF SUPERVISION 7
Supervision of the Therapeutic Encounter 99
8 The Feminist and the Hierarchical Teacher 107Margaret Ann Meskill
9 One Head, Many Hats 123
10 The Poet and the Drummer 137Adam Price
11 “The Oedipal Son” Revisited 159Gil Tunnell
12 Into the Crucible 177Israela Meyerstein
13 Men and Dependency: The Treatment of a Same–Sex Couple 195David E. Greenan
14 The Shit–Painter 215Wai–Yung Lee
15 Filling the Empty Vessel: Andy Schauer’s Story 243Wai–Yung Lee
EPILOGUE 261Salvador Minuchin