As the competition for gifts grows increasingly intense, managers and fund–raisers for charitable organizations must learn how to work with tax and business law to optimize their return. Written by the leading legal authority on tax–exempt organizations, this book provides an accessible approach to understanding the various laws and offers solutions to enhance an organization’s wealth and effectiveness. Bruce Hopkins clearly explains to fund–raisers the pertinent aspects of the law, enabling them to dramatically increase funding without legal missteps. He also thoroughly details the steps needed to solve the fund–raiser’s most pressing legal headaches, including maintenance of tax exemption and public charity status, planned giving, charitable giving rules, unrelated business activities, fund–raiser’s compensation, state regulations, and much more.
This book provides critical answers to fund–raisers’ questions such as:
- What law basics should every fund–raiser know?
- Is a charitable organization required to apply to the IRS for tax–exempt status?
- What are the charitable contribution deduction rules?
- How do the unrelated business income rules apply to fund–raisers?
- How does a charitable organization start a planned giving program?
- What are the important elements of the fund–raiser’s contract?
- What are the contents of a typical charitable solicitation act?
- Can a charitable organization have a taxable subsidiary?
- When does a fund–raiser need a lawyer?
With its comprehensive coverage of the legal issues that nonprofit organizations face,
The First Legal Answer Book for Fund–Raisers is a powerful resource that every fund–raiser must have!
Public Charity Status.
Tax Exemption Application.
Charitable Contribution Deduction Rules.
Unrelated Business Activities.
Annual Information Returns.
State Law Regulation.