The authors map all the major routes to organisational improvement and classify them into a number of basic categories. Five separate categories, each with its own theoretical provenance, are identified, and each type of approach is assessed and evaluated. The authors’ approach draws on both strategy and human resource management, and highlights the interesting and subtle relationships between strategy and capability.
The book is highly practical, enabling the manager or HR professional, through an informed understanding of the advice available, to assess which solutions are most appropriate for their organisation.
List of Figures and Tables.
About the Authors.
1. How Organizations are Changing and Why.
2. The Model: Five Ways to Improve Organizational Performance.
3. ´Fit´: Fitting Organizational Structures to Business Strategy.
4. The Resource–Based View of Strategy.
5. Formulating Strategy.
6. Developing Strategy.
7. The Adaptive Organization.
8. Summary and Conclusion.