The Health Care Industry offers board members a comprehensive resource that clearly explains how health services are organized, financed, and provided. This much–needed resource contains a wealth of information and
- Explains board responsibilities
- Describes organizations that provide health services such as ambulatory care facilities, physician practices, hospitals, nursing homes, home health agencies, health systems, and public health agencies
- Clarifies how money moves through the system: insurance, health plans, Medicare, Medicaid, and HMOs
- Describes the characteristics and training of health professionals including physicians, nurses, dentists, pharmacists, chiropractors, and physician’s assistants
- Provides a glossary of health care terms, concepts, and acronyms
About the Authors.
At a Glance.
Health and Disease.
Health Service Need, Demand, and Utilization.
Boards and Governance.
2. Health Care Organizations and Services.
Mental Health Care.
Public Health Services.
3. Health Care Financing.
Changing Economic Dynamics.
Flow of Funds Through the System.
Types of Health Insurance Plans.
Voluntary Health Insurance.
Social Health Insurance (Medicare).
Welfare Insurance (Medicaid).
Health Maintenance Organizations.
4. Health Care Personnel.
Ancillary Nursing Personnel.
Other Health Professionals.
5. Predictions and Challenges.
A. Glossary of Health Care Terms.
B. Medical Specialties.
C. Recommendations for Learning More.