This important resource is an update of the best–selling book Special Educator′s Complete Guide to 109 Diagnostic Tests. The greatly expanded second edition contains explanations of 301 new and enhanced tests, which are vital to understanding assessment in special education. Designed as an easy–to–use, hands–on resource, the book is filled with practical tools, information, and suggestions. Step–by–step, this practical guide explores the various stages of evaluation, interpretation, diagnosis, prescription, and remediation. You′ll find detailed information on the make–up and purpose of each of the 301 different tests, covering:
- Academic Achievement
- Anxiety and Depression
- Attention Deficit–Hyperactivity Disorder
- Auditory Processing
- Behavioral Disorders
- Deaf and Hearing Impairments
- Emotional Disturbance
- English as a Second Language and Bilingual Education
- Gifted and Talented
- Infants, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
- Learning Disabilities
- Mental Retardation
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech and Language
- Visual Processing
- Written Language
The book provides a thorough explanation of the most commonly used diagnostic tests. It is an essential resource for any professional involved in the assessment of children with special needs.
Part I: Overview of Assessment.
Chapter 1: Introduction to Assessment.
Chapter 2: The Special Education Process: How a Child Is Recommended for a Comprehensive Assessment.
Part II: 301 Tests Used in Special Education.
Chapter 3: Academic Achievement.
1. Basic Achievement Skills Inventory (BASI).
2. Brigance Comprehensive Inventory of Basic Skills Revised (CIBS–R).
3. Criterion Test of Basic Skills Second Edition (CBS–2).
4. Diagnostic Achievement Battery Third Edition (DAB–3).
5. Diagnostic Achievement Test for Adolescents Second Edition (DATA–2).
6. Einstein Evaluation of School–Related Skills (E = MC2).
7. Essential Skills Screener (ESS).
8. Hammill Multiability Achievement Test (HAMAT).
9. Kaufman Functional Academic Skills Test (K–FAST).
10. Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement Second Edition (KTEA–II).
11. Norris Educational Achievement Test (NEAT).
12. Peabody Individual Achievement Test Revised–Normative Update (PIAT–R/NU).
13. Wechsler Individual Achievement Test Second Edition (WIAT–2).
14. Wide Range Achievement Test Fourth Edition (WRAT–4).
15. Wide Range Achievement Test–Expanded (WRAT–E).
16. Woodcock–Johnson Tests of Achievement–III (WJ–III).
17. Young Children s Achievement Test (YCAT).
Chapter 4: Anxiety and Depression.
18. Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI).
19. Beck Depression Inventory–II (BDI–II).
20. Children s Depression Inventory (CDI).
21. Children s Depression Rating Scale Revised (CDRS–R).
22. Depression and Anxiety in Youth Scale (DAYS).
23. Multidimensional Anxiety Scale for Children (MASC).
24. Revised Children s Manifest Anxiety Scale (RCMAS).
25. Reynolds Adolescent Depression Scale Second Edition (RADS–2).
26. Reynolds Child Depression Scale (RCDS).
Chapter 5: Aptitude.
27. Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT).
28. Detroit Tests of Learning Aptitude–4 (DTLA–4).
29. Detroit Tests of Learning Aptitude–Primary Third Edition (DTLA–P:3).
30. Otis–Lennon School Ability Test Eighth Edition (OLSAT–8).
Chapter 6: Attention Deficit–Hyperactivity Disorder.
31. Attention Deficit Disorders Evaluation Scale Third Edition (ADDES–3).
32. Attention Deficit Disorders Evaluation Scale: Secondary–Age Student (ADDES–S).
33. Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Test (ADHDT).
34. Brown Attention–Deficit Disorder Scales: Child and Adolescent Versions (Brown ADD Scales for Children).
35. Children s Attention and Adjustment Survey (CAAS).
36. Conners Rating Scales Revised (CRS–R).
37. Early Childhood Attention Deficit Disorder Evaluation Scale (ECADDES).
38. Scales for Diagnosing Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (SCALES).
39. Spadafore Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Rating Scale (S–ADHD–RS).
Chapter 7: Auditory Processing.
40. Auditory Processing Abilities Test (APAT).
41. Goldman–Fristoe–Woodcock Test of Auditory Discrimination.
42. Inventory of Perceptual Skills (IPS).
43. Lindamood Auditory Conceptualization Test Third Edition (LAC–3).
44. Test of Auditory Comprehension of Language Third Edition (TOAL–3).
45. Test of Auditory Processing Skills Third Edition (TAPS–3).
46. The Listening Inventory (TLI).
47. Wepman s Auditory Discrimination Test Second Edition (ADT–2).
Chapter 8: Autism.
48. Asperger Syndrome Diagnostic Scale (ASDS).
49. Autism Diagnostic Interview Revised (ADI–R).
50. Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS).
51. Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS).
52. Gilliam Autism Rating Scale (GARS).
53. Krug Asperger s Disorder Index (KADI).
54. Psychoeducational Profile Third Edition (PEP–3).
55. Social Communication Questionnaire (SCQ).
56. Social Responsiveness Scale (SRS).
Chapter 9: Behavioral Disorders.
57. Behavioral and Emotional Rating Scale Second Edition (BERS–2).
58. Behavior Dimensions Scale (BDS).
59. Behavior Disorders Identification Scale Second Edition (BDIS–2).
60. Behavior Evaluation Scale Third Edition: Long (BES–3:L).
61. Behavior Evaluation Scale Third Edition: Short (BES–3:S).
62. Behavior Rating Profile Second Edition (BRP–2).
63. Burks Behavior Rating Scales (BBRS).
64. Conduct Disorder Scale (CDS).
65. Disruptive Behavior Rating Scale (DBRS).
66. Emotional and Behavior Problem Scale Second Edition (EBPS–2).
67. Preschool and Kindergarten Behavioral Scales Second Edition (PKBS–2).
68. School Social Skills (S3).
69. Social Behavior Assessment Inventory (SBAI).
70. Social–Emotional Dimension Scale Second Edition (SEDS–2).
71. Social Skills Rating System (SSRS).
72. Student Behavior Survey (SBS).
Chapter 10: Deaf and Hearing Impairments.
73. Auditory Perception Test for the Hearing Impaired (APT/HI).
74. Carolina Picture Vocabulary Test (CPVT).
75. Hiskey–Nebraska Test of Learning Aptitude.
76. Leiter International Performance Scale Revised.
77. Rhode Island Test of Language Structure (RITLS).
78. Test of Early Reading Ability Deaf or Hard of Hearing (TERA–D/HH).
Chapter 11: Emotional Disturbance.
79. BarOn Emotional Quotient Inventory: Youth Version (BarOn EQ–i:YV).
80. Beck Youth Inventories of Emotional and Social Impairment.
81. Bell Relationship Inventory for Adolescents (BRIA).
82. Differential Test of Conduct and Emotional Problems (DT/CEP).
83. Draw–A–Person Screening Procedures for Emotional Disturbance (DAP:SPED).
84. Scale for Assessing Emotional Disturbance (SAED).
Chapter 12: English as a Second Language and Bilingual Education.
85. The Bilingual Verbal Ability Tests (BVAT).
86. Expressive One–Word Picture Vocabulary Test Spanish Bilingual Edition.
87. Receptive One–Word Picture Vocabulary Test Spanish Bilingual Edition (ROWPVT–SBE).
88. Test de Vocabulario en Imagenes Peabody (TVIP).
Chapter 13: Gifted and Talented.
89. Creativity Assessment Packet (CAP).
90. Gifted and Talented Evaluation Scales (GATES).
91. Screening Assessment for Gifted Elementary and Middle School Students Second Edition (SAGES–2).
92. Test of Mathematical Abilities for Gifted Students (TOMAGS).
Chapter 14: Infants, Toddlers, and Preschoolers.
93. Basic School Skills Inventory Third Edition (BSSI–3).
94. Battelle Developmental Inventory Second Edition (BDI–2).
95. Bayley Infant Neurodevelopmental Screener (BINS).
96. Bayley Scales of Infant Development Second Edition (BSID II).
97. Birth to Three Assessment and Intervention System Second Edition (BTAIS–2).
98. Boehm 3 Preschool.
99. Boehm Test of Basic Concepts Third Edition (Boehm–3).
100. Bracken Basic Concept Scale Revised.
101. Bracken School Readiness Assessment.
102. CELF Preschool Second Edition.
103. Cognitive Abilities Scale Second Edition (CAS–2).
104. Columbia Mental Maturity Scale (CMMS).
105. DABERON–2 Screen for School Readiness.
106. DeGangi–Berk Test of Sensory Integration (TSI).
107. Developmental Activities Screening Inventory Second Edition (DASI–II).
108. Developmental Assessment of Young Children (DAYC).
109. Developmental Observation Checklist System (DOCS).
110. Developmental Profile II (DP–II).
111. Developmental Tasks for Kindergarten Readiness Second Edition (DTKR–II).
112. Early Childhood Behavior Scale (ECBS).
113. Early Screening Profiles (ESP).
114. Infant/Toddler Symptom Checklist: A Screening Tool for Parents.
115. Kaufman Developmental Scale (KDS).
116. Kaufman Infant and Preschool Scale (KIPS).
117. Kaufman Survey of Early Academic and Language Skills (K–SEALS).
118. Kindergarten Readiness Test (KRT).
119. McCarthy Scales of Children s Abilities.
120. Metropolitan Readiness Test Sixth Edition (MRT–6).
121. Mullen Scales of Early Learning.
122. Pre–Kindergarten Screen (PKS).
123. Preschool Evaluation Scale (PES).
124. Preschool Language Assessment Instrument Second Edition (PLAI–2).
125. Preschool Language Scale Fourth Edition (PLS–4).
126. Screening Kit of Language Development (SKOLD).
127. Test of Kindergarten/First Grade Readiness Skills (TKFGRS).
128. Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales Second Edition (VABS–2).
129. Vulpe Assessment Battery Revised (VAB–R).
Chapter 15: Intelligence.
130. Beta III.
131. Comprehensive Test of Nonverbal Intelligence (CTONI).
132. Das–Naglieri Cognitive Assessment System (CAS).
133. Differential Ability Scales (DAS).
134. Draw–A–Person Intellectual Ability Test for Children, Adolescents, and Adults (DAP:IQ).
135. Goodenough–Harris Drawing Test.
136. Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children Second Edition (KABC–II).
137. Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test (KAIT).
138. Kaufman Brief Intelligence Test Second Edition (KBIT–2).
139. Matrix Analogies Test Expanded Form (MAT Expanded Form).
140. Pictorial Test of Intelligence Second Edition (PTI–2).
141. Porteus Maze.
142. Reynolds Intellectual Screening Test (RIST).
143. Slosson Full–Range Intelligence Test (S–FRIT).
144. Slosson Intelligence Test Primary (SIT–P).
145. Slosson Intelligence Test Revised (SIT–R3).
146. Stanford–Binet Intelligence Scales Fifth Edition (SB5).
147. Swanson Cognitive Processing Test (S–CPT).
148. Test of Nonverbal Intelligence Third Edition (TONI–3).
149. Wechsler Preschool Primary Scales of Intelligence–III (WPPSI–III).
150. Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children–IV (WISC–IV).
151. Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale–III (WAIS–III).
Chapter 16: Learning Disabilities.
152. Analytic Learning Disability Assessment (ALDA).
153. Dyslexia Early Screening Test Second Edition (DEST–2).
154. Dyslexia Screening Instrument.
155. Learning Disabilities Diagnostic Inventory (LDDI).
156. Learning Disability Evaluation Scale (LDES).
157. Slingerland Screening Tests for Identifying Children with Specific Language Disability.
158. Structure of Intellect Learning Abilities Test (SOI–LA).
Chapter 17: Mathematics.
159. Comprehensive Mathematical Abilities Test (CMAT).
160. Diagnostic Screening Test–Math Third Edition (DSTM–3).
161. KeyMath Revised–Normative Update (KeyMath–R/NU).
162. Slosson–Diagnostic Math Screener (S–DMS).
163. Stanford Diagnostic Mathematical Test–4 (SDMT–4).
164. Test of Early Mathematics Ability Third Edition (TEMA–3).
165. Test of Mathematical Abilities Second Edition (TOMA–2).
Chapter 18: Mental Retardation.
166. AAMR Adaptive Behavior Scales Residential and Community (ABS–RC:2).
167. AAMR Adaptive Behavior Scales School Second Edition (ABS–S:2).
168. Aberrant Behavior Checklist Residential (ABC–Residential)/(Community).
169. Adaptive Behavior Evaluation Scale Revised (ABES–R).
170. Adaptive Behavior Inventory (ABI).
171. Assessment for Persons Profoundly or Severely Impaired (APPSI).
172. Developmental Assessment for Students with Severe Disabilities Second Edition (DASH–2).
Chapter 19: Neuropsychology.
173. Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function (BRIEF).
174. Brief Test of Head Injury (BTHI).
175. California Verbal Learning Test Children s Version (CVLT C).
176. Cognitive Symptom Checklists (CSC).
177. Comprehensive Trail–Making Test (CTMT).
178. Continuous Visual Memory Test (CVMT).
179. Digit Vigilance Test (DVT).
180. Kaplan Baycrest Neurocognitive Assessment (KBNA).
181. Kaufman Short Neuropsychological Assessment Procedure (K–SNAP).
183. Quick Neurological Screening Test Second Edition (QNST–II).
184. Rey Complex Figure Test and Recognition Trial (RCFT).
185. Ross Information Processing Assessment Second Edition (RIPA–2).
186. Ruff Figural Fluency Test (RFFT).
187. Scales of Cognitive Ability for Traumatic Brain Injury (SCATBI).
Chapter 20: Occupational Therapy.
188. Adolescent/Adult Sensory Profile.
189. Bruininks–Oseretsky Test of Motor Proficiency.
190. Children s Assessment of Participation (CAPE).
191. Enjoyment and Preferences for Activities of Children (PAC).
192. FirstSTEp: Screening Test for Evaluating Preschoolers (FirstSTEp).
193. Infant/Toddler Sensory Profile.
194. Miller Function and Participation Scales (M–FUN–PS).
195. Peabody Developmental Motor Scales Second Edition (PDMS–2).
196. Perceived Efficacy and Goal Setting System (PEGS).
197. Quick Neurological Screening Test Second Edition (QNST–II).
198. Sensory Integration and Praxis Tests (SIPT).
199. Sensory Profile.
Chapter 21: Personality.
200. Aggression Questionnaire (AQ).
201. Children s Apperception Test (CAT).
202. Jesness Inventory Revised (JI R).
203. Novaco Anger Scale and Provocation Inventory (NAS–PI).
204. Personality Inventory for Children Second Edition (PIC–2).
205. Personality Inventory for Youth (PIY).
206. State–Trait Anger Expression Inventory–2 (STAXI–2).
207. Thematic Apperception Test (TAT).
Chapter 22: Psychological.
208. Adolescent Psychopathology Scale (APS).
209. Joseph Picture Self–Concept Scale.
210. Mental Status Checklist Adolescent (MSC–Adolescent).
211. Mental Status Checklist Children (MSC–Children).
212. Multi–Dimensional Self–Concept Scale (MSCS).
213. My Worst Experience Scale (MWES).
214. Piers–Harris Children s Self–Concept Scale Second Edition (Piers–Harris 2).
215. Reynolds Adolescent Adjustment Screening Inventory (RAASI).
216. Self–Esteem Index (SEI).
217. Trauma Symptom Inventory (TSI).
218. Trauma Symptom Checklist for Children (TSCC).
Chapter 23: Reading.
219. Assessment of Literacy and Language (ALL).
220. Diagnostic Assessments of Reading with Trial Teaching Strategies (DARTTS).
221. Diagnostic Screening Test–Reading Third Edition (DSTR–3).
222. Durrell Analysis of Reading Difficulty Third Edition (DARD–3).
223. Gates–MacGinitie Reading Tests (GMRT).
224. Gates–McKillop–Horowitz Reading Diagnostic Tests.
225. Gilmore Oral Reading Test.
226. Gray Diagnostic Reading Tests Second Edition (GDRT–2).
227. Gray Oral Reading Tests Fourth Edition (GORT–4).
228. Gray Silent Reading Tests (GSRT).
229. Nelson–Denny Reading Test.
230. Phonics–Based Reading Test (PRT).
231. Pre–Literacy Skills Screening (PLSS).
232. Slosson Oral Reading Test Revised (SORT–R3).
233. Slosson Test of Reading Readiness (STRR).
234. Spache Diagnostic Reading Scales (DRS).
235. Standardized Reading Inventory Second Edition (SRI–2).
236. Stanford Diagnostic Reading Test Fourth Edition (SDRT–4).
237. Test of Early Reading Ability Third Edition (TERA–3).
238. Test of Reading Comprehension Third Edition (TORC–3).
239. Test of Silent Word Reading Fluency (TOSWRF).
240. Test of Word Reading Efficiency (TOWRE).
241. Woodcock Reading Mastery Tests Revised–Normative Update (WRMT–R/NU).
Chapter 24: Speech and Language.
242. Arizona Articulation Proficiency Scale Third Revision (Arizona–3).
243. Bankson–Bernthal Test of Phonology (BBTOP).
244. Bankson Language Test Second Edition (BLT–2).
245. Children s Communication Checklist–2.
246. Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals–4 (CELF–4) and CELF–4 Spanish Edition.
247. Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals–4 (CELF–4) Screening Test.
248. Comprehensive Receptive and Expressive Vocabulary Test Second Edition (CREVT–2).
249. Comprehensive Test of Phonological Processing (CTOPP).
250. Early Language Milestone Scale Second Edition (ELM Scale–2).
251. Evaluating Acquired Skills in Communication Revised (EASIC–R).
252. Examining for Aphasia: Assessment of Aphasia and Related Impairments Third Edition (EFA–3).
253. Expressive One–Word Picture Vocabulary Test (EOWPVT).
254. Expressive Vocabulary Test (EVT).
255. Goldman–Fristoe Test of Articulation Second Edition (Goldman–Fristoe–2).
256. Illinois Test of Psycholinguistic Abilities Third Edition (ITPA–3).
257. Kindergarten Language Screening Test (KLST–2).
258. Oral and Written Language Scales (OWLS).
259. Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test Third Edition (PPVT–III).
260. Phonemic Awareness Skills Screening (PASS).
261. Receptive–Expressive Emergent Language Test Third Edition (REEL–3).
262. Receptive One–Word Picture Vocabulary Test.
263. Ross Information Processing Assessment Primary (RIPA–P).
264. Slosson Articulation Language Test with Phonology (SALT–P).
265. Slosson Phonics and Structural Analysis Test (SP–SAT).
266. Speech and Language Evaluation Scale (SLES).
267. Stuttering Prediction Instrument for Young Children.
268. Stuttering Severity Instrument for Children and Adults Third Edition (SSI–3).
269. Test for Auditory Comprehension of Language Third Edition (TACL–3).
270. Test for Examining Expressive Morphology (TEEM).
271. Test of Adolescent and Adult Language Third Edition (TOAL–3).
272. Test of Adolescent and Adult Word Finding (TAWF).
273. Test of Early Language Development Third Edition (TELD–3).
274. Test of Language Development Primary: 3 (TOLD–P:3).
275. Test of Oral Structures and Functions (TOSF).
276. Test of Phonological Awareness Second Edition (TOPA–2+).
277. Test of Word Finding Second Edition (TWF–2).
278. Woodcock Language Proficiency Battery Revised (WLPB–R).
Chapter 25: Visual Processing.
279. Beery–VMI (Developmental Test of Visual Motor Integration) Fifth Edition (VMI–5).
280. Bender Visual–Motor Gestalt Test Second Edition (Bender–Gestalt II).
281. Benton Visual Retention Test Fifth Edition.
282. Comprehensive Test of Visual Functioning Kit (CTVF).
283. Developmental Test of Visual Perception Second Edition (DTVP–2).
284. Kent Visual Perceptual Test (KVPT).
285. Learning Efficiency Test Second Edition (LET–II).
286. Motor Free Visual Perception Test Third Edition (MVPT–3).
287. Slosson Visual–Motor Performance Test (S–VMPT).
288. Test of Gross Motor Development Second Edition (TGMD–2).
289. Test of Visual Motor Integration (TVMI).
290. Test of Visual Perceptual Skills Third Edition (TVPS–3).
Chapter 26: Written Language.
291. Diagnostic Screening Test–Language Second Edition (DSTL).
292. Diagnostic Screening Test–Spelling Third Edition (DSTS).
293. Mather–Woodcock Group Writing Tests (MWGWT).
294. Slosson Written Expression Test (SWET).
295. Test of Early Written Language Second Edition (TEWL–2).
296. Test of Written Expression (TOWE).
297. Test of Written Language Third Edition (TOWL–3).
298. Test of Written Spelling Fourth Edition (TWS–4).
299. Word Identification and Spelling Test (WIST).
300. Writing Process Test (WPT).
301. Written Expression Scale (WES).
Part III: Overview of the Special Educator as an Educational Evaluator.
Chapter 27: Understanding a Student s Behavior During Testing.
Chapter 28: Reporting Assessment Test Results.
Appendix A: Test Publishers.
Appendix B: Referral Forms Commonly Used in the Special Education Process.
Dr. Pierangelo earned his B.S. from St. John s University, M.S. from Queens College, Professional Diploma from Queens College, Ph.D. from Yeshiva University, and Diplomate Fellow in Forensic Psychology from the International College of Professional Psychology. He is a member of the American Psychological Association, New York State Psychological Association, Nassau County Psychological Association, New York State Union of Teachers, and Phi Delta Kappa.
George Giuliani is the co–Executive Director of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals, National Association of Special Education Teachers, and president of the National Association of Parents with Children in Special Education. He is a full–time associate professor at Hofstra University s School of Education and Allied Human Services in the Department of Counseling, Research, Special Education, and Rehabilitation as the director of the special education program at the graduate school. He earned his B.A. from the College of the Holy Cross, M.S. from St. John s University, J.D. from City University Law School, and Psy.D. from Rutgers University, the Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, and is a Diplomate Fellow in Forensic Psychology and a Diplomate Fellow in Child and Adolescent Psychology. Dr. Giuliani is also a New York State licensed psychologist and certified school psychologist, and he has an extensive private practice focusing on children with special needs. He is a member of the American Psychological Association, New York State Psychological Association, the National Association of School Psychologists, Suffolk County Psychological Association, Psi Chi, and the Council for Exceptional Children.
Dr. Giuliani has been involved in early intervention for children with special needs and is a consultant for school districts and early childhood agencies. He has provided numerous workshops for parents and teachers on a variety of psychological and educational topics.
Dr. Roger Pierangelo is the author of The Special Educator s Survival Guide, The Special Educator s Book of Lists, and 301 Ways to Be a Loving Parent; and coauthor with Dr. George Giuliani of Special Educator s Complete Guide to 109 Diagnostic Tests; Assessment in Special Education: A Practical Approach; Transition Services in Special Education: A Practical Approach; Learning Disabilities: A Practical Approach to Foundations, Diagnosis, Assessment, and Teaching; Why Your Students Do What They Do and What to Do When They Do It Grades K 5; Why Your Students Do What They Do and What to Do When They Do It Grades 6 12; Creating Confident Children in the Classroom: The Use of Positive Restructuring, and What Every Teacher Should Know About Students with Special Needs; and The Big Book of Special Education Resources.