All children deserve a chance to learn to love reading. The Joyful Reading Resource Kit offers teachers an impressive array of tools, resources, and activities for getting students at all levels excited about reading while developing their proficiency in comprehension. Serving as a companion to Joyful Reading, the book offers teachers everything they need to implement the Schoolwide Enrichment Model in Reading (SEM–R), a differentiated instructional approach that encourages students to read independently for a period of time each day on books of their own choice. Implemented in three phases, the SEM–R program has been shown by research to improve fluency and comprehension among at–risk students. The Joyful Reading Resource Kit includes:
- Reproducible "bookmarks" for scaffolding students in critical thinking and comprehension activities
Extensive lists of recommended books
Tips for supporting students in selection of appropriately challenging books
Materials for managing independent reading in the classroom, including log sheets, five–minute conference tips, writing prompts, assessment rubrics, and a reading growth chart
Exciting enrichment resources to develop students′ reading interests, including a survey form, online books, Web–based activities, and Renzulli Learning resources
Hands–On Creativity activities that help students elaborate ideas, develop fluency, brainstorm, and much more
Reproducible X–ploration projects on varied topics that students can pursue independently at their own pace
The Joyful Reading Resource Kit is a vital compendium not only for classroom teachers but also for parents and after–school educators who wish to support students in discovering the rich rewards and delights of reading.
PART I: TOWARD JOYFUL READING.
1. The Schoolwide Enrichment Model for Reading (SEM–R): Why now?
2. Why Differentiate Reading Instruction?
3. Reading Instruction Essentials.
PART II: THE PROGRAM PHASES.
4. Hooking Kids on Reading: Phase I.
5. Supported Independent Reading and Conferences: Phase II.
6. Facilitating Interest and Choice: Phase III.
PART III: SUCCEEDING WITH SEM–R.
7. Library and Classroom Management Strategies.
8. Differentiated Practices to Challenge all Readers.
9. Making Use of Literacy Coaches.
10. The Program in After–School and Other Settings.
A. Sample SEM–R Bookmarks (4).
B. Reading Interest–a–Lyzer.
C. Book Lists and Resources.
D. Sun/Cloud Template.
E. Reading Growth Graph.
F. Teacher Log: Template and Examples.
G. Student Log: Template and Examples.