Skills and strategies for leading any organization to success
- . . comprehensive, up-to-date, and better than ever
" When the speculative bubble burst in 2000, it exposed a weakness in many firms-too much financial engineering and too little leadership and management. I strongly recommend this book to those managers who want to learn how to run well-managed organizations capable of weathering the inevitable turbulence brought about by intensive competition and rapid changes in markets and technology. In one book, highly regarded experts in the field of management provide you with the essential lessons you will need to succeed as a leader and manager."
- Michael Beer, Cahners-Rabb Professor of Business Administration, Emeritus
Harvard Business School and author of The Critical Path to Corporate Renewal
"For managers to be effective in today's complex world, they need to be learners as well as leaders. In this remarkable volume, a world-class collection of professors provides a curriculum for continuous management learning that combines leading-edge theory with practical advice. Every manager -from supervisor to CEO-should keep this book close at hand."
- Ron Ashkenas, Managing Partner, Robert H. Schaffer & Associates
and coauthor of The Boundaryless Organization and The GE Work-Out
"This latest edition of The Portable MBA in Management continues a tradition of some of our greatest thinkers and teachers making their work highly accessible. The book will be treasured as a valuable reference as well as a great read!"
- Len Schlesinger, Chief Operating Officer, The Limited, Inc.
From the master teachers and scholars of management, including:
David L. Bradford, Stanford University ? Anne Donnellon, Babson College ? Stephen L. Fink, University of New Hampshire ? Charles J. Fombrun, New York University ? Danna Greenberg, Babson College ? Douglas T. Hall, Boston University ? Todd D. Jick, The Center of Executive Development ? Rosabeth Moss Kanter, Harvard Business School ? Roy J. Lewicki, Ohio State University ? Leonard A. Schlesinger, Harvard Business School ? R. Roosevelt Thomas Jr., American Institute for Managing Diversity ? Peter B. Vaill, University of St. Thomas
1. Introduction: The Critical Importance of Leadership,Inf luence, Teamwork, and Change Management (Allan R. Cohen, Babson College).
2. Visionary Leadership (Peter B. Vaill, University of St. Thomas).
3. The Challenge of a Team (David L. Bradford, Stanford University).
4. Managing Individual Behavior: Bringing Out theBest in People (Stephen L. Fink, University of New Hampshire).
5. Power, Politics, and Inf luence: Savvy and Substancein Organizations (Anne Donnellon, Babson College).
6. Negotiating Strategically (Roy J. Lewicki, Ohio State University).
7. ?Brand You?: Building Your Protean Career (Douglas T. Hall, Boston University).
PART TWO: ORGANIZATIONAL FRAMEWORKS.
8. Designing Effective Organizations (Danna Greenberg, Babson College).
9. Managing Human Resources Strategically: The Challenge (Charles J. Fombrun, New York University).
10. Building a Diversity Management Capability (R. Roosevelt Thomas Jr., American Institute forManaging Diversity).
11. Managing Change (Todd D. Jick, Center for Executive Development).
12. Future Leaders Must Be Global Managers (Rosabeth Moss Kanter, Harvard Business School).
About the Authors.