Older adults are the fastest–growing segment of society and are entering therapy at an unprecedented rate. Editor Michael Duffy has brought together leading experts in geropsychology and older adult counseling to discuss and offer practice strategies appropriate for this diverse population. The Handbook covers new research findings for clinical treatment, coverage of multiple treatment modalities, and clinical problems confronting older clients, including:
- Adjusting to role loss, leisure in late life, and retirement
- Developmental issues in psychotherapy with older men
- Existential issues of hope and meaning in late life therapy
- Developing and enhancing the therapeutic alliance with older clients
- The impact of cultural differences in psychotherapy with older clients
- Using reminiscence and life review as natural therapeutic strategies in groups
- Integrated group approaches with early stage Alzheimer′s and their families
- Family disruption after nursing home placement of onset of dementia patients: systemic dynamics and treatment
- Realizing power in intergenerational family hierarchies: when older adults decline
APPROACHES TO PSYCHOTHERAPY WITH OLDER ADULTS: ISSUES IN PSYCHOTHERAPY PROCESS WITH OLDER ADULTS.
Using Process Dimensions in Psychotherapy: The Case of the Older Adult (M. Duffy).
Adjusting to Role Loss and Leisure in Later Life (J. Myers).
Developmental Issues in Psychotherapy with Older Men (M. Huyck & D. Gutmann).
It Takes Two: Therapeutic Alliance with Older Clients (H. Kivnick & A. Kavka).
The Role of Art Therapy in Aiding Older Adults with Life Transitions (J. Weiss).
Therapeutic Issues and Strategies in Group Therapy with Older Men (D. Sprenkel).
Couple Therapy with Long–Married Older Adults (E. Rosowsky).
Family Disruption: Understanding and Treating the Effects of Dementia Onset and Nursing Home Placement (D. Frazer).
Prevention Interventions for Older Adults (C. Konnert, et al.).
Critical Issues and Strategies in Mental Health Consultation in Nursing Homes (M. Smyer & M. Wilson).
TREATMENT APPROACHES FOR SELECTED PROBLEMS: PERSONALITY DISORDERS.
The Effect of Personality Disorder on Axis I Disorders in the Elderly (J. Sadavoy).
Dynamics and Treatment of Narcissism in Later Life (J. Jacobowitz & N. Newton).
Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Late–Life Depression (G. Hinrichsen).
Strategies for Treating Generalized Anxiety in the Elderly (M. Stanley & P. Averill).
The Effects of Trauma: Dynamics and Treatment of PTSD in the Elderly (L. Hyer).
Current Concepts and Techniques in Validation Therapy (N. Feil).
Management of Alcohol Abuse in Older Adults (L. Dupree & L. Schonfeld).
Ethics of Treatment in Geropsychology: Status and Challenges (J. Hays).