The chapters cover a broad range of topics, including understanding the advantages and disadvantages of mutual funds and long and short–term investing, evaluating stock/bond allocations within fund portfolios, assessing fund diversification risk, measuring fund returns and risk, and making fund buy/sell decisions. Throughout the text, step–by–step decision checklists guide readers in the analysis and selection of various mutual funds. Treating all the major theoretical issues in mutual fund analysis and portfolio management, this book is both a thorough resource and a practical guide.
1. Understanding Mutual Funds.
2. Mutual Fund Service Advantages.
3. Mutual Fund Service Advantages: Professional Management.
4. Mutual Fund Service Disadvantages.
5. Mutual Fund Service Disadvantages: Expenses.
6. Long–Term Investing in Mutual Funds.
7. Portfolio Diversification Risk and Equity Style Allocation.
8. Mutual Fund Performance Measures and Buy/Sell Decision Criteria.
9. Mutual Fund Performance and Portfolio Investment Style Allocations.
10. Actively Managed versus Passively Managed Funds: The Search for Managers.
11. Mutual Funds: The Next Generation.
12. Economic and Market Indicators: Knowledge, Not Faith.
Like a master anthologist, Professor Haslem has collected the best ideas of the past twenty years on how to select and evaluate mutual funds, and he′s assembled them into a cohesive, highly readable work. If you′re seeking order out of the chaos of competing lists of 10 Funds to Buy Now, then this is the book for you. Don Phillips, Managing Director, Morningstar, Inc.
′I am confident that Haslem will be recognized as having written the definitive book on mutual funds bar none. I have seen most of the books in this area, and nothing comes close to the coverage. I will recommend the book to anyone who has an interest in this area, and certainly to anyone needing something to use for instructional purposes.′ Charles Jones, North Carolina State University
′This masterfully written book is a must read for those who want to make informed decisions about mutual funds. Jack Haslem′s definitive treatment of the subject sets a new standard for excellence. His clarity of style and solidity of research result in fascinating reading.′ H. Kent Baker, American University
′Haslem′s realistic, thoroughly researched perspective on mutual funds is must reading for both investors and fund managers. This is one those solid books that results from a strong academic background in investments and a balanced view of the financial markets.′ Bob Edmister, University of Mississippi
′Professor John Haslem has written a very thorough and detailed book on mutual funds. This book will be very useful as a text for a course on mutual funds, a supplementary text for a standard investment course, and a must reading for anyone aspiring to be a certified financial planner.′ Robert Krainer, University of Wisconsin