This practical guide offers a realistic approach to strategic management, while borrowing from the most helpful and relevant business ideas, allows the public or nonprofit organization to achieve success without compromising its unique mission or constituency. Executives, managers, and policymakers will find key principles for everyday application, including how to:
- Identify trends that will most affect programs and services
- Assess the organization′s core strengths and competencies
- Select strategies that advance the mission while building operational success
- Explore opportunities for collaborations with other organizations
- Encourage a culture of strategic thought and action
"Kevin Kearns provides a well–structured overview of fundamental strategic options that leaders need to consider in shaping the destiny of their organizations and of individual programs and services. He offers busy nonprofit executives a practical, readable, and useful framework for strategic thinking." Margaret Tyndall, chief executive officer, YWCA of Greater Pittsburgh
"Kearns has demystified strategic planning in the private sector and made its best attributes useful to public and nonprofit organizations. Private Sector Strategies for Social Sector Success will help public and nonprofit officials better serve citizens and clients in the increasingly competitive marketplace." William Dodge, executive director, National Association of Regional Councils, and author of Regional Excellence
"This is a first–rate book, a truly useful guide. Kearns presents a comprehensive, highly readable, and practical approach to thinking and acting strategically about critical issues facing public and nonprofit organizations." Thomas J. Pavlak, associate director, Carl Vinson Institute of Government, University of Georgia
1. Embracing New Challenges and Opportunities: Strategic Management in Government and Nonprofit Organizations.
2. Understanding Three Models of Strategy Formulation.
3. Using Environmental Scanning to Track TrAnds and Prospects.
4. Analyzing Your Organization′s Portfolio.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT STRATEGY.
5. Growth Strategies.
6. Retrenchment Strategies.
7. Stability Strategies.
8. Collaborative Strategies.
STRATEGY IN PRACTICE.
9. Implementing Strategic Decisions.
Conclusion: Balancing Politics and Strategy.