Leading in Black and White reveals the everyday reality for African American executives in the predominantly white world of American business, education, and government. Ancella Livers and Keith Caver from the highly acclaimed Center for Creative Leadership give a clear picture to all executives of the challenges black leaders face and offer solid recommendations to both white and black managers on how to work together more effectively.
Part One: A World of Difference for Black Managers.
1. The Assumption of Similarity.
2. Who Are We?
3. Looking Out for Each Other.
4. Navigating the Shoals of Race and Gender.
5. Working the Networks.
6. Growing and Grooming Leaders.
7. Understanding the Political Landscape.
Part Two: Coming Together.
8. Strategies for Black Managers.
9. What Colleagues Need to Know.
10. What Organizations Need to Know.
Appendix: Assessing Your Political Savvy.
References and Suggested Readings.
About the Center for Creative Leadership.