A Comprehensive Handbook for Today′s Student Academic Services Professionals
Student Academic Services discusses the practical delivery and management of student services and provides insight into the most current research on student development and learning, student readiness, assessment, and the factors needed to run successful programs. The book shows how academic services intersect and explains how they can more effectively work together. The authors promote a systems perspective that can help evaluate and align student services with the goals of both the students and the institution. The contributors are
Kimberly S. Brown
Don G. Creamer
Elizabeth G. Creamer
Joseph B. Cuseo
Steven C. Ender
Anthony M. English
Virginia N. Gordon
Sara E. Hinkle
Bonita C. Jacobs
Sally M. Johnstone
Gary L. Kramer
George D. Kuh
Janet G. Lenz
Jill A. Lumsden
Rita R. Owens
Bernard A. (Bernie) Pekala
Gary W. Peterson
Earl H. Potter III
Gene F. Priday
Robert C. Reardon
James P. Sampson, Jr.
John H. Schuh
Patricia A. Shea
J. James Wager
W. W. (Tim) Washburn
Roger B. Winston, Jr.
PART ONE: Taking a Strategic Approach to Student Development.
1. Stimulating and Supporting Student Learning (Roger B. Winston, Jr.).
2. Student Academic Services: Models, Current Practices, and Trends (Darlene Burnett, Diana Oblinger).
3. The Interrelationship of Student Academic Services (John H. Schuh).
PART TWO: Profiles of Student Academic Services.
4. Enrollment Management and Conceptual Underpinnings (Jim Black).
5. The Assessment of Readiness for Student Learning in College (Gary W. Peterson, James P. Sampson, Jr., Janet G. Lenz).
6. New Student Orientation in the Twenty–First Century: Individualized, Dynamic, and Diverse (Bonita C. Jacobs).
7. Course Planning and Registration (Louise Lonabocker, J. James Wager).
8. Career Interventions: Facilitating Strategic Academic and Career Planning (Robert C. Reardon, Jill A. Lumsden).
9. Supporting Student Planning (Virginia N. Gordon, Gary L. Kramer).
10. Applying Quality Educational Principles to Academic Advising (Elizabeth G. Creamer, Don G. Creamer, Kimberly S. Brown).
11. The Essential Academic Record (W. W. (Tim) Washburn, Gene F. Priday).
12. Student Financial Services (Rita R. Owens, Bernard A. Pekala).
PART THREE: New Directions for Practice.
13. Comprehensive Academic Support for Students During the First Year of College (Joseph B. Cuseo).
14. Responding to Students′ Needs (Carmy Carranza, Steven C. Ender).
15. Student Diversity and Academic Services: Balancing the Needs of All Students (Vasti Torres).
16. Putting Academic Services On–Line (Sally M. Johnstone, Patricia A. Shea).
17. Promoting and Sustaining Change (Earl H. Potter III).
18. Student–Centered Academic Services (George D. Kuh, Anthony M. English, Sara E. Hinkle).
19. Developing Providers (Diane Foucar–Szocki, Rick Larson, Randy Mitchell).
20. Leading Student Academic Services in the Twenty–First Century (Gary L. Kramer).