For quick access and easy use, the book is organized in seven sections and printed in a big 8 1/2 " x 11" format for easy photocopying. The following is just a small sample of the many strategies, assessments, inventories, and activities featured in each section:
1. INFORMAL READING ASSESSMENT TOOLS FOR OLDER STUDENTS: Includes a Content Reading Inventory. . . lists of sample words from a range of content areas including English, social studies, science, and mathematics&an; informal assessment to determine a student′s approximate instructional reading level.
2. STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES FOR IMPROVING SKILLS TO IDENTIFY CONTENT SIGHT WORDS: Provides reproducible copies of words needed for computer literacy . . . strategies for improving students ility to recognize and identify important content and daily–living words . . . activities that include a reversed crossword puzzle and a magic square from science.
3. STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES FOR IMPROVING BASIC PHONIC SKILLS: Contains the basic phonic elements in which older students should be competent . . . seven helpful phonic generalizations . . . activity sheets that challenge students to complete a shopping list and discover a secret code.
4. STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES FOR IMPROVING ABILITY IN WORD STRUCTURE: Includes an explanation of the usefulness of word roots, prefixes, and suffixes . . . comprehensive lists of the most useful elements of word structure that help students read and study content materials effectively . . . activity sheets that help students determine word etymologies and correct accents.
5. STRATEGIES AND ACTIVITIES FOR IMPROVING USE OF CONTEXT CLUES: Presents a useful classification scheme for context clues . . . method of teaching context clues, cryptology, and mutilated messages . . . activities that direct students to choose the correct word in sentence context.
6. STRATEGIES AND MATERIALS FOR IMPROVING COMPREHENSION SKILLS WHILE READING CONTENT MATERIAL: Contains an explanation of levels of reading comprehension textually explicit, textually implicit, and critical or evaluative . . . myriad classroom–tested strategies for improving comprehension . . . activity sheets that engage students to figure out which is the better invention and complete a job application form.
7. STRATEGIES AND MATERIALS FOR IMPROVING STUDY SKILLS IN THE CONTENT AREAS: Offers a description of the specialized study skills that students need to read specific content material . . . a multitude of classroom–tested strategies for improving study skills . . . activities that help students to use the Dewey Decimal System and read the newspaper more effectively.
Survival Reading Skills for Secondary Students provides teachers with a time–saving, effective resource for motivating, challenging, and improving students reading and study skills