Prologue: Beginning and Ending with Purpose.
1. Leadership by Governing Boards: A Vision of Group Accountability.
2. Policy as a Leadership Tool: The Force of Explicit Values.
3. Designing Policies That Make a Difference: Governing by Values.
4. Focusing on Results: The Power of Purpose.
5. Controlling Ethics and Prudence: What's Not OK, Even if It Works.
6. Strong Boards Need Strong Executives: The Board-Executive Relationship.
7. The Board's Responsibility for Itself: Governing Oneself Precedes Governing Others.
8. Officers and Committees: The Chief Governance Officer and Other Divisions of Board Labor.
9. Policy Development by Levels: Adding Details Judiciously.
10. Making Meetings Meaningful: Creating the Future More Than Reviewing the Past.
11. Maintaining Board Leadership: Staying on Track and Institutionalizing Excellence.
12. But Does It Work? Criticisms, Effectiveness Research, and Model Consistency.
Resource A. Varieties of Policy Governance Applications.
Resource B. Bylaws.
Resource C. Glossary.