How to Make Money as a Mediator (and Create Value for Everyone)
How does a lawyer, Ph.D., certificate–trained mediator, or someone just getting started in their career get established as a well–paid conflict resolution professional? How can you be the name that repeatedly shows up on the short list of people who are looking for mediators?
How to Make Money as a Mediator (and Create Value for Everyone) is an invaluable and inspirational resource filled with practical, proven, and down–to–earth information on how you can develop a satisfying and lucrative career as a mediator, no matter what your area of interest labor and employment mediation, intellectual property, environment, personal injury, family and divorce, contract, securities, or international peacekeeping.
Authors Jeffrey Krivis and Naomi Lucks recruited top mediators to give readers a behind–the–scenes look at how they achieved success in this highly competitive profession. These leading mediators offer insights into their backgrounds, their decision to commit to mediation, and their choice of specialty. They also share trade secrets and personal tips: what it takes to be a top mediator, their approach to marketing and networking, keys to getting referrals and keeping clients, their personal experiences in learning the business aspects of mediation, the value of education and specialized training, and much more. These well–known mediators are candid about their financial successes and failures, where they are now, and what the future holds. For anyone who is considering entering this dynamic and growing field, their advice is invaluable.
How to Make Money as a Mediator is your hands–on guide for achieving the financial success and professional satisfaction that comes with the privilege of being able to work every day at a job you are passionate about!
Introduction: How I Found My Dharma in Mediation 1
1. Extreme Mediation: What Top–Tier Mediators Know That You Can Learn 9
2. Be Yourself: Inspiring Trust, Projecting Authenticity, Honing Your Skills 33
3. Invisible Marketing: The Essence of Networking 53
4. Visible Marketing: Getting Out There 77
5. Practical Considerations: The Business of Mediation 109
6. How Much Money Can You Earn? Value, Investment, and Cold, Hard Cash 137
7. Staying Alive: Weathering the Ups and Downs of a Mediation Practice 157
8. Looking Ahead: The Future of Mediation and Your Future in Mediation 177
The Mediator s Field Guide to a Successful Practice 199
About the Authors 221
About the Contributors 223