Praise for Developing Talentfor Organizational Results
"Elaine Biech brings together some of the ′royalty′ of American corporations and asks them to share their wisdom in increasing organizational effectiveness. In 46 information–filled chapters, these ′learning providers′ don′t just sit on their conceptual thrones; they offer practical advice for achieving company goals and the tools to make it happen." Marshall Goldsmith, million–selling author of the New York Times bestsellers, MOJO and What Got You Here Won′t Get You There
"Recruiting, developing, inspiring, engaging, and retaining your talent are critical to the growth and success of all organizations. Developing Talent for Organizational Results is a rich resource that can help you cultivate your most precious resource." Tony Bingham, CEO & President ASTD and Co–author of The New Social Learning
"Hiring and developing talent is the area that I am most passionate about. . . . Developing Talent for Organizational Results covers all the important topics, uses multiple experts, and supports learning with ready–to–use tools to develop talent in your company. It is like having a million–dollar consultant sitting on your book shelf!" Mindy Meads, former CO–CEO Aéropostale and former CEO/ President Lands′ End
The best companies win with highly talented, highly committed employees hiring and developing the best talent is essential. In Developing Talent for Organizational Results, Elaine Biech brings together the work of many of the most renowned learning providers in the world all of them members of ISA: The Association of Learning Providers.
Filled with a treasure–trove of consulting advice from The Ken Blanchard Companies, DDI, Forum, Herrmann International, Bev Kaye, Jack Zenger, and others, this book delivers the answers you want to improve leadership, management, and communication skills; address training, learning, and engagement issues; and shape the culture and care for your customers to achieve desired results.
Section I: Communicating to Succeed 1
1. Communicate with Stories 3
The Ariel Group
2. Reclaiming Your Peer Power 17
NetSpeed Learning Solutions
3. The Candor Advantage 31
4. Open Your Business to the World 47
Bonus Activity I.1. Turning e–Mail Drains into Productivity Gains: Which e–Mail Would You Rather Read? 59
Bonus Activity I.2. Build or Repair: A Tool for Difficult Communication 69
Section II: Moving into Management 85
5. Are You Prepared for Your Next Project? 87
6. Using Involvement in Decision Making to Increase Engagement 103
Interaction Associates, Inc.
7. How to 10X Your Influence 111
8. Speaking Up 127
9. Raising the Talent Bar 139
Paradigm Learning, Inc.
10. Eliminate the Us vs. Them Dynamics 149
Learning as Leadership
Bonus Activity II.1. 3D Perception Sharing 163
The Dede Henley Group
Section III: Executive Essentials 169
11. Brilliance in Brief 171
12. Leading with Integrity 177
Strategic Leadership Collaborative, Inc.
13. How to Tell a Story . . . and Why 185
Kevin Daley Communications
14. Your Invitation to Greatness 193
Impression Management Professionals
15. How Does a CEO Do Engagement? 201
Section IV: Developing Leaders 209
16. Developing Future Leaders 211
ebb associates inc
17. Awaken, Align, Accelerate® A Framework for Developing Leaders 219
MDA Leadership Consulting
18. Designing Great Leadership Development Workshops 229
Bluepoint Leadership Development
Bonus Activity IV.1. Historical Orienteering: Leadership Lessons from History 237
Sonoma Leadership Systems
Section V: Shaping a Vital Culture 245
19. Bringing the Twelft h Man Alive in Your Organization 249
The Whiteley Group
20. Creating a Culture of Employee Work Passion 265
The Ken Blanchard Companies
21. Owners and Renters 279
Center for Creative Leadership
22. The Commercial Impact of Employee Engagement 285
Performance Connections International, Inc.
23. Thank God It s Monday! 307
The Emmerich Group
24. Improving Workplace Cultures Through Respect, Service, and Safety at Work® 317
Crisis Prevention Institute, Inc.
25. Building Organizational Change Capability 331
Being First, Inc.
Bonus Activity V.1. Exploring Culture Through the Canyon 349
Root Learning, Inc.
Section VI: Invigorating Your Training Process for Results 353
26. Getting More from Your Investment in Training 357
27. Does Your Organization Have It Backwards? 365
28. Design the Complete Experience 377
Fort Hill Company
29. Engaging All Learners in an Age of Information Overload 387
30. Behavior Changes That Stick 405
31. Reinforcement 415
32. Take Courage 421
Beyond ROI, Inc.
Section VII: Timely Training Techniques 431
33. The Seven Separators of Great Facilitation 433
34. How to Teach Wisdom 445
The Steve Trautman Company
35. Maximum Value from Simulations 455
36. Virtual Classroom . . . Real Results! 467
Development Dimensions International, Inc. (DDI)
37. Training Triage 475
Section VIII: Focus on Individual Development 497
38. Redirect the Development Dialogue 499
Career Systems International
39. Building Your Business Acumen® 507
40. Resilience Build Th is Essential Personal Capability 515
41. The Promise of Peer Group Coaching to Develop High–Potential Leaders 521
The Eblin Group
42. Maximize the Results and Multiply the Impact from 360–Degree Assessments 529
The Glacel Group
43. How to Present 360–Degree Feedback Effectively 545
West End Consulting
Bonus Activity VIII.1. Composing Your Personal Credo 561
James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner
Section IX: Caring Customer Service and Sales 565
44. Twelve Building Blocks of an Uplifting Service Culture 567
UP! Your Service
45. Who Killed Service? 581
Sigma Performance Solutions, Inc.
46. Taming the Sales Manager Ego 593
Recommended Additional Reading 601
Website e–Tools 609
About the Editor 619
Elaine Biech is president and managing principal of ebb associates inc, an organizational development firm that helps organizations work through large–scale change. The recipient of ASTD′s highest honor, the Gordon M. Bliss award, Biech is the author and editor of over four dozen books, including The Book of Road–Tested Activities, Pfeiffer Annuals of Training and Consulting, 90 World–Class Activities by 90 World–Class Trainers, Training for Dummies, The Business of Consulting, and others, all published by Wiley.
ISA The Association of Learning Providers, founded in 1978, is the only industry specific association devoted exclusively to the issues and needs of business owners, founders, CEOs, and leaders in the training and performance industry.