"One skill that all executives attempting to manage technology need is the ability to evaluate and undertake risk.... Drawing from an impressive variety of sources, Mr. Calvert teaches readers to assess their current risk skills, challenge false risk assumptions, judge risks soundly, lower risk levels, control emotional responses to risk, and, perhaps most important, survive the inevitable failures."
1. The New Realities: Walking the Management Highwire.
2. Excellence and Innovation: The Rewards of Risk Taking.
Part Two: Building Strong Risk–Taking Skills.
3. Assess Your Boundaries, Traits, and Assumptions.
4. Reframe Your Perceptions: Avoiding the Distortion Factors.
5. Improve Your Decision Making: Taking the Right Risk at the Right Time.
6. Confront Your Emotions: Handling the Roller Coaster Rides.
7. Reduce the Dangers: Risk Taking Is Not Risk Free.
8. Survive the Failures: Dealing with the Downside of Risk.
Part Three: Keeping Risk Alive: Encouraging Effective Risk Taking in Yourself and Others.
9. Nurture Your Skills: Learning by Taking Action.
10. Foster Risk Taking in Others,
Appendix: Research Notes.