Inside the Unscrupulous World of Global Corporate Consulting
"What is a Management Consultant?" the prized MBA candidate asked.
"The best of us – and that could be you – know without ever needing to ask. We′re a breed apart," the consultant observed, arrogance and irony in perfect balance.
"Okay, so that could be me, but what does that mean?" the MBA persisted.
"Of course there′s money involved," the consultant offered. "Great deals of money. World travel, first–class living. A chance to influence every corporation on the planet. Virtually no limits to whatever secrets and appetites you feel you need to indulge".
"Yes, but what is it that we do?" the recruit tried one last time, his doubts rapidly evaporating.
In this book Lewis Pinault takes a humorous and insightful look at the world of management consultants in this no–holds–barred view of the business.
- For aspiring consultants, this is an unvarnished look at the life of a consultant, with essential, darkly revealing guidelines on how to get ahead and an enlightening perspective on the brutal infighting that can engulf even the most civilized consulting firm.
- For current executives and potential clients, Pinault reveals what consultants are really thinking and scheming, and explores the unscrupulous lengths to which a consulting firm will go in order to protect and increase its own lucrative fees.
- For the general reader, this is a rollicking yarn brimming with vignettes drawn from a consultant′s daily work, including such characteristic consulting activities as "benchmarking" (deep–cover corporate espionage), "business transformation" (mass brainwashing), and "client entertainment" (global debauchery)
JOHN WILEY & SONS, LTD
Chichester New York Weinheim Brisbane Singapore Toronto
Tracts on Consulting Demonology
1. Consulting Company Covens
2. The Alchemy of Getting a (Good) Offer from a leading Consulting Company
3. Client Beware: Consultants′ Spycraft Charms
4. Consulting Sorcery for Co–opting Client Team–mates
5. How Consultants Divine a Fracturing Engagement
6. Client Be Damned: How Consulting Companies Bedevil Each Other.
7. Strategic Intent, Core Competence, or the Incantation of Your Choice: Process Facilitation Techniques for the Cascading of Billings.
8. Red Spots and Other Runes Consultants Use to Close on Large Fees.
9. What Your Consultant′s Office is Trying to Charm You to Believe and What′s Really There to See.
10. Demon Hosts of the Consulting Life: Pain–Management Archetypes.
11. Rites and Rituals for Becoming a Guru in the Giant Engagement Game.
12. Client Beware: Consulting Spells for Triggering Global Professional Services Sales.
13. The Consulting Book of the Dead: How to Read and Price a Consulting Proposal.
14. Modern Magic for Surviving the Consulting Storm.