- Complete on–volume reference on every stage of owning a home.
- Covers shopping for a mortgage; negotiating your agreement of purchase and sale; signing contracts with renovators, movers, and others; understanding those mpenetrable insurance policies; dealing with problem neighbours and much more.
- Your "operating manual" for legal issues as well as the everyday problems of home ownership.
- Written in plain English that′s easy to understand.
- Includes helpful, practical checklists and forms.
- Tells you what you need to know to prevent and solve many problems on your own.
- What you need to ask lawyers and other professionals it may even help to reduce the fees you′ll have to pay.
- Completely revised and updated including: how to look for a home on the Internet and how you can use your home to save, or get more money.
- Expand information on such topics as: condominium ownership, making offers on a home, and homeowner′s insurance, to name just a few.
BUYING A HOME
Chapter 1: A Manual for Homeowners
Deciding to Buy a Home (or at Least This Book)
Once You Own a Home
Questions This Book Answers
It′s Great to Live in Canada...But...
Chapter 2: What Can You Afford?
When is the Best Time to Buy?
Knowing What You Can Afford
What Does It Cost to Buy and Own a Home?
How Much Money Do You Have for Your New Home?
The Maximum Price to Pay for Your Home
Chapter 3: Where Do You Want to Live?
Think About What You Want
Go House–Hunting with a Real Estate Agent
Homes for Sale By Vendor
Homes that Aren′t for Sale
Chapter 4: Evaluating the Houses You See
Location of Your Home To Be
Features of the Home
Condition of the Home
Special Considerations for Condominiums
Special Considerations for Homes Under Construction
Chapter 5: Making An Offer to Purchase
Getting the Home You Want (At the Right Price)
Making Your Offer
The Nature of the Agreement of Purchase and Sale
The Contents of Your Offer
It′s Important to Have a Lawyer Review Your Offer
The Responsibility to Close
Chapter 6: The Purchaser′s Lawyer
Do You Need a Lawyer?
What Does a Lawyer Actually Do?
How Much Will a Lawyer Cost?
How Do You Choose a Lawyer?
Chapter 7: Morgages
What Is a Mortgage?
Speaking the Morgagee′s Language
Chooseing the Mortgage Options That Are Right for You
Where to Get a Mortgage
Applying for a Mortgage
Insurance When You Get a Mortgage
Mortgages Through the Vendor
An Eye to the Future
Paying Off and Discharging Your Mortgage
Chapter 8: Homeowner′s Insurance
Why You Need Insurance
A Homeowner′s Policy
What Can You Insure?
What Causes of Damage Can You Insure Against?
How Much Insurance Coverage Should You Have?
How Do You Get Insurance?
How Much Will Your Insurance Cost?
How Do You Make a Claim?
Chapter 9: Moving To Your New Home
Choosing the Right Mover
Deciding What You Want the Mover to Do
Packing for Your Move
After Your Move
Long Distance Moves
OWNING A HOME
Chapter 10: You′re Home. Now What?
Problems in Your New Home
Chapter 11: Repairs and Renovations
Why Are You Doing This to Yourself?
Preliminary Planning for a Renovation or Major Repair
What′s Involved in a Renovation or Major Repair?
Who Will Do the Work?
How Do You Find the Help You Need?
The Repair or Renovation Contract
Tips for Surviving Your Renovation or Major Repair
When Problems Arise
Chapter 12: Home Security
Outside Your Home
When You′re Away
Doors and Windows
Protection for Your Valuables
In the Event of a Burglary
Chapter 13: Home Safety and Accident Prevention
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Preventing Water Damage
"To Do" Lists
Emergency Phone Numbers
Chapter 14: Visitors Welcome and Unwelcome
Who Can Come onto Your Property?
What Can You Do to Keep People Out?
What Can You Do if Someone Gets In?
How Do You Treat the People Who Come In?
Social Hosts and Drunk Drivers
Chapter 15: Nightmares With the Neighbours
Nuisances and Annoyances
Problems with Your Immediate Neighbours
The Construction Zone
If the Tables Are Turned
Chapter 16: Money Troubles
Some Solutions to Money Troubles
Mortgage Foreclosure and Sale
Family Law Considerations
How Litigation May Affect Your Home
Bankruptcy and Insolvency
SELLING YOUR HOME
Chapter 17: Getting Ready to Sell
When Is the Best Time to Sell?
Good News about Taxes on the Sale of a Home
Getting Your Act Together
Getting Your Home′s Act Together
Chapter 18: Putting Your Home Up For Sale
The Sale Process When You Use a Real Estate Agent
How to Find a Real Estate Agent
The Legal Relationship Between You and Your Real Estate Agent
The Sale Process When You Sell Privately
Chapter 19: From Offer to Closing
Reviewing an Offer to Purchase
The Anatomy of an Offer
The Vendor′s Lawyer
Your Responsibilities Until Closing
The Responsibility to Close
Chapter 20: Goodbye and Good Luck