This book is intended both as an introduction to anticancer chemotherapy and as a practical guide to the use of chemotherapy in the management of cancer in animals. As an introduction to the subject, the basic principles of tumour biology and chemotherapy are explained in depth. As a practical guide, individual agents are described according to their modes of action, indicators, dose rates and toxicity. Chapters also consider specific conditions appropriate for chemotherapeutic treatment, together with treatment regimes and comprehensive tables detailing specific agents, dose rates and toxicity. In addition, consideration is given to problems associated with chemotherapy, including advice on precautions for safe handling of cytotoxic drugs.
Using text, notes and tabulated information, this highly practical guide should be read by all practitioners interested in cancer therapy and the careful and rational use of cytotoxic drugs in veterinary practice.
1. Background and Perspective.
Part 1 – Basic Principles.
2. Basic Principles of Tumour Biology.
3. Basic Principles of Anticancer Chemotherapy.
Part 2 – Chemotherapeutic Agents.
4. Cytotoxic Agents.
Part 3 – Practical Considerations.
5. Complications of Chemotherapy.
6. Patient Selection Clinical Considerations Concerning the Administration of Cytotoxic Drugs in Veterinary Practice.
7. Precautions for the Safe Handling of Cytotoxic Drugs.
Part 4 – Specific Conditions.
8. Chemotherapy in the Management of Lymphoproliferative and.
9. Chemotherapy in the Management of Solid Tumours.
10. The Use of Cytotoxic Drugs for Immunosuppression.
11. Problem–oriented Approach to Emergency States or Complications of Therapy.
Part 5 – New Approaches.
12. New Approaches to Cancer Therapy.