The history of the stroke unit.
How should we evaluate our interventions?
Assembling evidence about stroke units.
Effectiveness of organised (stroke unit) care.
Economics of stroke unit care.
Implications for planning stroke services.
Implications for further research.
With user friendly case histories, key points summaries, and a glossary of terms, this will be an essential evidence based guide to the current information on organising stroke care. It will appeal to all clinicians in stroke care, public health doctors, hospital managers, nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists and everyone involved with the rehabilitation of stroke patients.
Foreword by Iain Chalmers.
1. The Stroke Unit Story.
2. How Should We Evaluate Our Interventions?.
3. Assembling Evidence About Stoke Units.
4. Effectiveness of Organised (Stroke Unit) Care.
5. Economics of Stroke Unit Care.
6. Implications for Planning Stroke Services.
7. Implications for Future Research.
Appendix: Descriptions of Stroke Unit Care.
Glossary of Terms.