Foreword (Dietrich Knorr).
Introduction (Gustavo V. Barbosa–Canovas and Daniela Bermudez–Aguirre).
Section I. Physical Processes.
1. Fundamentals of Food Processing Using High Pressure (Loc Thai Nguyen and V.M. Balasubramaniam).
2. High–Pressure Processing Equipment Fundamentals (Edmund Ting).
3. High–Pressure Processing Pathways to Commercialization (Daniel F. Farkas).
4. Case Studies on High–Pressure Processing of Foods (Carole Tonello).
5. Microbiological Aspects of High–Pressure Food Processing (Elaine P. Black, Cynthia M. Stewart, and Dallas G. Hoover).
6. Biochemical Aspects of High–Pressure Food Processing (Maite A. Chauvin and Barry G. Swanson).
7. Sensory Quality of Pressure–Treated Foods (Alan O. Wright).
8. Hydrodynamic Pressure Processing of Meat Products (M.B. Solomon, M. Sharma, and J.R. Patel).
9. Physicochemical Effects of High–Intensity Ultrasonication on Food Proteins and Carbohydrates (Jochen Weiss, Ibrahim Gulseren, and Gunnar Kjartansson).
10. Ultrasonic Processing (Hao Feng and Wade Yang).
Section II. Electromagnetic Processes.
11. Pulsed Electric Fields Processing Basics (Olga Mart n–Belloso and Robert Soliva–Fortuny).
12. Engineering Aspects of Pulsed Electric Fields (Bilge Altunakar and Gustavo V. Barbosa–Cánovas).
13. Pulsed Electric Field Assisted Extraction A Case Study (Stefan Toepfl and Volker Heinz).
14. Improving Electrode Durability of PEF Chamber by Selecting Suitable Material (Minjung Kim and Howard Q. Zhang).
15. Radio Frequency Electric Fields as a Nonthermal Process (David J. Geveke).
16. Use of Oscillating Magnetic Fields in Food Preservation (Nuria Grigelmo–Miguel, Robert Soliva–Fortuny, Gustavo V. Barbosa–Canovas, and Olga Mart n–Belloso).
17. Irradiation of Ground Beef and Fresh Produce (Christopher Sommers and Xuetong Fan).
18. Pulsed Ultraviolet Light (Ali Demirci and Kathiravan Krishnamurthy).
19. Ultraviolet–C Light Processing of Liquid Food Products (J.A. Guerrero–Beltran and G.V. Barbosa–Canovas).
20. Nonthermal Plasma as a Novel Food Processing Technology (Brendan A. Niemira and Alexander Gutsol).
Section III. Other Nonthermal Processes.
21. Basics of Ozone Sanitization and Food Applications (Ahmed E. Yousef, Mustafa Vurma, and Luis A. Rodriguez–Romo).
22. Case Studies of Ozone in Agri–Food Applications (Rip G. Rice, Dee M. Graham, and Charles D. Sopher).
23. Ozone Pathway to Commercialization (James T.C. Yuan).
24. Effects of Dense Phase CO2 on Quality Attributes of Beverages (Sibel Damar and Murat O. Balaban).
25. Chlorine Dioxide (Gas) (Lindsey A. Keskinen and Bassam A. Annous).
26. Electrolyzed Oxidizing Water (Ali Demirci and Katherine L. Bialka).
Section IV. Combination Processes.
27. Novel Technologies in Combined Processes (Santiago Condon, Pilar Manas, and Guillermo Cebrian).
28. Nonthermal Processes as Hurdles with Selected Examples (Robert Soliva–Fortuny, Nuria Grigelmo–Miguel, Gustavo V. Barbosa–Canovas, and Olga Mart n–Belloso).
29. Bacteriocins as Natural Antilisterial Food Preservatives (Li Liu, R. Paul Ross, Colin Hill, and Paul D. Cotter).
30. Antimicrobial Packaging (Dong Sun Lee and Jung H. Han).
Section V. Driving Forces.
31. Consumer Trends and Perception of Novel Technologies (Christine M. Bruhn).
32. Consumer and Sensory Issues for Development and Marketing (Armond V. Cardello, Robert Kluter, and Alan O. Wright).
33. Effects of High–Pressure Processing and Pulsed Electric Fields on Nutritional Quality and Health–Related Compounds of Fruit and Vegetable Products (Concepcion Sanchez–Moreno, Begona De Ancos, Luc a Plaza, Pedro Elez–Mart nez, and M. Pilar Cano).
34. Industrial Evaluation of Nonthermal Technologies (Huub Lelieveld).
35. Transferring Emerging Food Technologies into the Market Place (Authos Yannakou).
36. New Tools for Microbiological Risk Assessment, Risk Management, and Process Validation Methodology (Cynthia M. Stewart, Martin B. Cole, Dallas G. Hoover, and Larry Keener).
37. Regulations and Alternative Food–Processing Technologies (Stephen H. Spinak and John W. Larkin).
38. Future Prospects for Nonthermal Processing Technologies Linking Products with Technologies (C. Patrick Dunne).
Section VI. Appendices: Fact Sheets.
Appendix 1. High Pressure Processing.
The Ohio State University Extension.
Appendix 2. Pulsed Electric Field Processing.
The Ohio State University Extension.
Appendix 3. Ozone.
The International Ozone Association.
Appendix 4. Food Irradiation.
University of California, Davis.
Appendix 5. Irradiation: A Safe Measure for Safer Iceberg Lettuce and Spinach.
Food and Drug Administration.
Appendix 6. Pulsed Light Treatment.
Appendix 7. Power Ultrasound.
Washington State University.